View Single Post
Old Oct 19th, 2018, 09:18   #9
Deman77
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
I would be amazed if a new diesel was to appear from Volvo. The market for these are shrinking world wide and diesel is becoming tainted as the "fuel of satan".
Shrinking is not zero. Large chunk of Volvo customer base still has diesel as the best option (I am not one of them) And if you want to sell them you have to bring new tech. My bet is volvo marketing tells volvo PR to come up with a story to let the sell some diesel. Didn’t some British kid come up with a way to cut low speed emissions on diesel to nearly nothing? They were looking to license that.

A lot will depend on the narrative around diesel. Don’t be mistaken it was deliberately stoked. It was ingenious as the side that could give a good Defense was found to be cheats and had no credibility. I am not saying bad things didn’t happen but the reaction was like machine gunning someone for stepping on your toe - car manufacturers and most corporations cheat and get caught all the time - here there was something more at play hence the big scandal. Now if it was just to reduce the extreme competitiveness of the Germans against the Americans, then hopefully it’s done - continued development of diesels by them indicates it might be this. Another explanation could be to push the electric - not a natural competitor at all - but you free up enough customers some will buy electric. If the latter then negative narrative around diesels may carry on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deman77 For This Useful Post: