View Single Post
Old Oct 20th, 2018, 10:00   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifeflier View Post
Thanks, I did try to identify whether this was a bona fide website or not, but couldn't see anything to indicate its authenticity or otherwise. However, it does pretty much agree with what you quoted me from the official Testers' Manual. Is that available to view online?

But regarding my own situation, the car is a 2014 XC60 and I'm disappointed that the LEDs are starting to pop already, given that they are supposed to have a reputation for extra-longevity. They also don't seem to be individually replaceable which is doubly annoying - I hate waste!

Regarding your comment about it working or not - it is still mostly working; only 2 or 3 of the LEDs are out, leaving somewhere between 5 and 7 till working. Anyway, I'm not prepared to replace it at this stage unless it turns out it's a stoppable offence, which I'm beginning to doubt it is! Thanks for your offer of a V70 rear light but I don't think it'd be any good really.

I've started taking the car to an independent Volvo garage in Glasgow (Voltech) for non-service items and MOTs; they seem to be more trustworthy than the dealership, so I'll get their opinion come MOT time.
You can read the MOT test manual on the government website here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...and-7-vehicles

As you have described it - you car will pass as less than one half of the LED's has failed - at least 50% need to be working for it to pass - but it should be recorded as a minor defect.

The site you linked to contradicts itself on the above topic so I would agree with Clan's comments that whilst it may be operated with all good intentions, it's not definitive or reliable.

I expect if you took your original cluster apart, you would fine dry solder joints rather than failed LED. You should be able to secure a good one second hand quite easily - as has been said they are normally taken for granted.

If it was your local main dealer that told you that your rear brake light would fail the MOT as 3 out of 10 LEDs have failed - you should notify the Aftersales Manager as someone needs re-training...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Oct 20th, 2018 at 10:03.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post: