View Single Post
Old Apr 21st, 2018, 14:48   #5
Tatsfield
Premier Member

While I don't have a current use for an additional nav device on my XC70, on other cars where I needed to fit something I looked long and hard at the problem and came to the conclusion that if you have to actually look at the device while driving, it should be mounted as near your line of sight on the road ahead without actually blocking any of that line of sight. By experimenting I found that a suction holder fitted to the lower right corner of the windscreen placed the device in an area where it only covered the view of the bonnet and not any aspect of the road. It also meant that it was nearest my right hand to operate it and all this could be done without taking my eyes off the road. Even the fitted Volvo sat nav forces you to look away from the road and I can see a definite advantage of the older pop up system. If you only use the audio instructions from the phone system, it doesn't matter where it's mounted so long as you can reach it if you need to.

I use a TomTom purely for speed camera announcements because the Volvo unit will not allow tailored announcements for POIs and I prefer to be told what the camera is rather than just a stock bleep. I keep it in the central stowage completely out of sight. It turns on with the ignition and announces impending cameras without me seeing it and without cluttering up the cabin.

Last edited by Tatsfield; Apr 21st, 2018 at 14:52.
Tatsfield is offline   Reply With Quote