View Single Post
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 23:43   #54
triumphtoledo

Default more factors

Following Amaz’in’s earlier post, I know there was some comment doubting that the 340 and 440/460/480 are "real" Volvos and the this old argument does nark me a bit. I do see similar patterns in other car clubs, where owners of the larger (and often more expensive cars) 'look down' at the cheaper models and it appears the same is happening in the Volvo community.

Going by the same logic, as mentioned before, the PRV 260/760 were not true Ovlovs, neither was the S40/V40 with the Mitsubishi 1.8-litre engines and Renault diesels. The logic extends to the later S40 & V50, which possess Ford floor-pans and only some models have Volvo engines. Don't forget to write off the entire current ‘Drive’ range, which has the 1.6-litre Ford/PSA running gear, plus any 2.0-diesel models with the Peugeot engine...

Obviously, the logic doesn't add up. I recently drove a new S80 Drive from the Midlands to Belgium and back in a day, so I was not hanging around. The engine was very good; excellent in fact. I only hope the turbocharger lasts longer on the Volvos, compared to the Peugs/Cits/Fords that are also fitted with the same basic power-plant.

The thing was not rapid but performance was adequate and the S80 hauled three adults and lots of booze back to Blighty without feeling underpowered. Economy was pretty good. I was more worried by how cramped the S80 was inside and I found the seats to be a bit too narrow. Despite what my journalist colleagues might say, the packaging is not as good as the previous S80 (albeit slightly larger) but the criticism can be levelled at other cars, such as the current and previous generation Citroen C5s. Dare I say Volvo is following a worrying trend here, by building inverse tardiss?

The other comment about the Merc 190 being of superb quality is true but Daimler-Chrysler realised that building cars to that quality was not sustainable, from a profit per unit perspective, hence the enormous quality drop that followed throughout the majority of the range from the late 1990s, from which it is argued that Merc’s repute has still not recovered from. Do not believe the 3-series (or even the 1-series and MINI models) BMWs possess bulletproof reliability that is consummate with the larger models. Believe me, that company is very good as keeping glitches under cover, away from public gaze.

Back to topic, I still say the 400 series' biggest problem is under appreciation.

R
triumphtoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to triumphtoledo For This Useful Post: