View Single Post
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 21:18   #9
colinmbrown

Hi all,

I've had my V50 (Euro 4) since the end of May and have put 5000 miles on it (now done 51,000 miles). A couple of weeks ago it started with the similar power loss described above whilst accelerating or cruising with the revs below about 2000rpm. It either refuses to rev or does so very slowly until about 2000rpm, above which it revs happily. There is no sooty smoke out of the exhaust which would indicate an EGR sensor failure from what I have read on the forums, and the best way I can describe it is something interrupting the fuel flow to the engine.

Usually it clears within 20 seconds but comes back randomly, sometimes after a hundred miles or so, but more often it occurs several times within my 20 mile commute. Occasionally there is just a blip in the revs whilst accelerating for a second or so.

Yesterday I had the car fully serviced as the independant delaer I bought it from claimed to have serviced it before putting it on sale but more and more now I'm thinking all he did was change the oil. The mechanic said the air and fuel filters looked like those of a car that had done 20,000 miles instead of 5,000 and the fuel filter was very "cruddy".

After the service, the car's doing it just as frequently but to a lesser degree, so the air in the fuel line would kinds make sense. Is there a straightforward way to check if there is air in the fuel lines?

The other thing I was considering was adding an additive into the fuel tank to see if cleaning through the system would make a difference. Any recommendations?
colinmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote