View Single Post
Old Sep 17th, 2019, 10:34   #1
vorticity

Default V70 Basics - Core Improvements - Recommendations

So, after a week's ownership of a 2014 V70 D4 which turned out to be burning oil like made, I went back to my 2005 V70 D5 Euro III with 136k on it.

The money that I was planning on spending on the 2014, I am now thinking of putting on the 2005 and getting it back to a nice condition.

I've serviced it every 9000 miles since 2015, it's had a new IC, new disks/pads, new front control arms. It doesn't smoke, it pulls great and I can get 50 mpg on long runs no matter how heavily laden, even with a roof box.

The HU850 can't do CDs and the radio has terrible reception. The auto wiper function doesn't work because a new windscreen got fitted without the right sealant glue stuff.

The paintwork is 14 years old and looks it. There are two rips in the headlining and some of the door seals are not as tight as they could be.

I now believe the clutch is starting to slip a little and the OSF drive shaft is apparently seized on the brake disks.

But, I am fond of it. There are few other cars that I feel can do so much and that don't have a DPF. The brief foray with the 2014 V70 was prompted by the crazy low price on it. But that turned out to be a bad idea, so I gave it back.

Given all that is possibly wrong with it, I am open to opinions on whether to plough money into:

Fixing the mechanicals (clutch (quoted £610 fitted), driveshaft)
Upgrading the suspension (new shocks (£230 for set) (Sachs or B4) lowered springs (£225))
Remap
Paintwork touch up and polish
Source new door seals
Replace windscreen again and seal properly
Source new HU850

So, what do people think. Is a 14 year old V70 D5 a future classic that's worth maintaining or am I foolish, even for people who like Volvos?

As a bit more context, I have three kids in car seats, occasionally carry stuff to the tip and do holidays on the continent. Plus, commute daily 20 miles round trip.

Last edited by vorticity; Sep 17th, 2019 at 11:39.
vorticity is offline   Reply With Quote