View Single Post
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 08:46   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Hi. My colleague is seriously looking at ordering an XC40 after having a weekend test drive. He is drawn to either the D4 or T4. Both auto and both AWD. From looking at the configurator the T4 seems a good bit cheaper up front. His annual mileage is likely to be circa 18k miles and likely to keep the car for maybe 5 years.

Has anyone got any real world fuel consumption figures for either of these engines? If it was me I would go T4 but he is worried about the fuel cost.

Thanks
I was about to put a deposit on an XC90 last week to replace my 2012. Right until I read about real emissions driving regs for diesel, enhanced tax rates and blocks from cities. I would google RED2 zones etc if I were your friend.

Whilst it’s easy to extol the virtues of diesels it’s a brave man that puts 40k plus into a car subject to such regulatory uncertainty.

In the instance of the xc90 my long commutes and the high cost difference between diese and petrol are complicated.

In your friends instance why on earth would you currently buy a diese if the Petrol equivalent is available. There is every chance in 5 years your mates car will be paying large sums to enter cities, will be subject to punative taxes and that no one will want it.

I would on balance buy the Petrol without hesitation.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote