View Single Post
Old Mar 9th, 2024, 19:46   #13
360beast
Go redblock or go home

I've fitted the DO88 intercooler and coolant hoses today and thought I would do a small write up on the fitment.

The actual intercooler is 60mm thick, the original one is 25mm thick so as you can imagine it's quite tight, it sits touching the end tanks of the radiator but as they're bolted together it can't rub against it so I'm not bothered about that.

The bottom rubber brackets didn't need cutting, it's tight going in to them but fits with a bit of man handling. The top rubber mounts didn't need cutting either, I just pulled the intercooler etc back towards the front of the car as much as I could and they bolted down fine then.

The flange that bolts to the A/C condenser doesn't have holes so you need to drill them yourself, seeing as my condenser is past it's best and leaks I didn't bother in case the replacement one has the holes in different places. The flange for the radiator to bolt to isn't quite the right angle so I used my knipex pliers to squeeze them together so I could bolt them together.

The intercooler pipes were a right pig to fit as they're a different shape and size to the original ones, the hardest one was the passenger side one as it was touching the power steering hoses and one of the hard brake lines from the ABS block.

Luckily the power steering hoses run inside a P clip so I bent that down a bit to clear and I just had to put silicone grease on the aluminium pipe where it goes in to the silicone elbows to manoeuvre it so it fit without kinking the elbows and has a few mm clearance between it and the brake line.

You can't use the original air filter housing as the new pipes run over the top of where the housing bolts to the bracket on the chassis leg. I have a template somewhere to make a MAF bracket like I did for 50 shades of grey and then I'll get a cone filter and make up some sort of cold air feed/heat shield.

The plastic shrouds that go around the original intercooler pipes on the slam panel touch the silicone elbows slightly so I left them off as I really couldn't be bothered trying to manipulate the passenger side one in to place around everything and then have to shave bits off of it to prevent it rubbing through. The drivers one also touched the elbow so I just left it off.

My 940 doesn't have tax or MOT at the moment so I couldn't test drive it so I can't comment on performance yet sadly.

So all in all it is probably about as close as you will get to a drop in kit but it isn't without it's fitment issues, however it fits a lot better than the one speedingparts sold which I now see has been removed from their website so it must have been very bad!
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post: