View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 06:11   #7
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby mits View Post
Anyone with electronics expertise out there able to guide me as to visual recognition of the component I am looking for?
Yes, I am such a person

I have repaired radios and other devices with failling memories

In the Automotive world they do NOT use little batteries to retain settings when power is off

They use non volatile flash memory, just like your mobile phone does, but much smaller

On devices I have repaired in the past the memory chip was easy to replace and cost all of 1.50 EUR.
BUT you have to have a memory chip reader to read out the contents of the old flash to then store in the new flash.
Even way back then, 15 years ago, I used a friends workshop where he had such tools

Given that a new nav drive is only around 250 EUR on eBay, you may be better with a 2nd hand drive

Be aware of the 2nd hand issues:
1. You have no clue as to how good or bad the 2nd hand drive is
2. You need to ensure the replacement has the identical part number to yours - vitally important
3. The part number should be enough but you need to ensure it is the same type of nav

Otherwise I have a friend in Germany who repairs nav drives, he is an professional electronics guy with his own business. He has all the kit, but he would have to say whether he'll accept it for looking at or not.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: