View Single Post
Old Nov 13th, 2021, 20:56   #1
Hendo78

Default Help with a strange raspy whining noise

Hi all

I have a Volvo XC90 Inscription 2015 with about 93,000 miles.

It has a full service history and I have had no issues of substance to date, great car.

I did a 500 mile round trip on Thursday and then on Friday when I drove the car I could hear a whining raspy noise when a I was traveling at low speeds 30mph.

I took the car on the motorway and no issues, the noise went away or at least I couldn't hear it. When I dropped down to 30mp again though the noise was present again.

The noise is present at those speeds and when I am coasting not pressing the accelerator. when I parked up I put the car in neutral and slightly put my foot on the accelerator and it was present again, the more I pressed the louder it gets to a point and then it can no longer be heard. Seems linked to accelerator but strange it is present at low speeds when I am coasting.

It remains when coasting downhill, if I move the steering wheel and like I say is present when parked in neutral with my foot slightly on the accelerator so don't think its bearings.

Does anyone have any idea on what this could be ?

I don't think the car is underpowered or at least its difficult to tell but I do feel when I take my foot of the accelerator there is a little delay in the the revs coming down, albeit that could be me overthinking it a little.

The noise is similar to when kids used to put cardboard in their tyres on bicycles, although its not overly loud, only slight.

Any help much appreciated

Last edited by Hendo78; Nov 13th, 2021 at 21:09.
Hendo78 is offline   Reply With Quote