View Single Post
Old Oct 1st, 2021, 19:44   #44
ilmiont
VOC Member

Well the oil extractor failed to arrive despite it reaching the local DO two miles away by lunchtime and being scheduled for delivery... then cancelled a couple of hours later. Annoying thing is I was actually near the DO so theoretically could have picked it up although not sure it would have been possible if it was waiting for a van. Didn't happen anyhow.

I've put the undertray on for piece of mind though. I can see why they get discarded; it wasn't the best of experiences but will probably seem better next time. Note for the future: fit the centre screw first! I got the other six in then found it was somehow slightly misaligned and the centre one would not go into position.

I also found the threads very stiff to begin with - having been exposed to the elements for who knows how long in the absence of the undertray, they'd acquired some grime and a little rust in some cases. Got the worst off and they were OK once they got moving.

Pre-holiday status then:

- No oil change I suppose in the scheme of things doing what will be about 10-12k on the same oil isn't too bad and still better than many cars see, but not what I'm really comfortable with for long-term health based on the colour change observed over the past couple of thousand miles.
- Tank filled, but with E10. I can't really be choosey in the present circumstances and am optimistic we'll find some premium grade once further north. As tomorrow's mostly a motorway day I'll just be happy I've got something to run on, I know that's more than some unfortunate people this week.
- Undertray fitted for the first time in who knows how long. Sump and belts protected on what looks like it could be a very wet day.

The sump plug saga may resume later in the month. A neighbour has offered to lend me a blow torch. I don't know that I trust myself to try that!

Photos of the plug as it is today

(notice how the sump bulges out directly above the plug - there is limited clearance for vice grips or a pipe wrench without scraping it, which I don't want to do)

The head was rounded the first time I got under the car, now it's really rounded and gnarled by vice grips and twist sockets.

Undertray fitted

Attached Images
File Type: jpg d1eli.jpg (274.3 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg r2sim.jpg (273.5 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg rv1a6.jpg (62.2 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by ilmiont; Oct 1st, 2021 at 19:52.
ilmiont is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilmiont For This Useful Post: