Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 07:49   #1109
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I'm pretty sure he's a trader, nothing wrong with that, as he's also selling an old boat. It's swinging on the end of a telehandler jib,in a mixed yard.
Fascinating - I've just had a look at the boat ad (the seller may be fortunate of the price goes above 99p) and the seller's history. It looks like he/she is a trader in this and that: second hand workshop tools, unfinished vehicle projects, car parts, old pushbikes, bric-a-brac. There is nothing wrong with that of course, and on the whole he/she has a good record (with the exception of one sale he/she cancelled because the auction didn't make enough money - that was a bit underhand, but it was some time ago).

I think it was a bit naughty of the seller to advertise this 240 estate without mentioning it had been laid up for many years, and at the same time imply it was a genuine low-mileage, 2 owner motor car with a full service history (which it clearly has not). That aside, the chap/lady is just trying to make a living and many dealers will be parsimonious with the whole truth.

This could still be a nice motor car. I do rather suspect the dealer bought it for more or less scrap value, but to his/her credit has got it through the MoT test and put it back on the road.

I see the auction price is now up to £820, which puts it out of banger derby territory (that is good). I suppose anyone looking for a restoration project that knows about 240s will have worked out what we have pretty quickly and so will be circumspect about bidding above a grand (say). There might be someone out there intending to run it as a daily driver that doesn't know much about old Volvos that may be willing to go higher - so it might still make over £1,500... we'll see next Monday :-)

Alan