View Single Post
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 21:37   #6
rippedoffagain
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
It probably won't be long before a smart phone can do what an ECU does as well as downloading films etc!
Your average smart phone is already more than powerful enough in computing terms. It just won't interface to anything useful.

Quote:
I'm guessing it would be perfectly possible to do what you suggest - problem is I don't really have the time or the energy for such things: I see little point in reinventing the wheel - I just want to see if I can fool an ECU into thinking it is still driving around in a modern car when it is in fact fitted to an old one.
I bet you could. But I reckon you'd probably need to do some basic electronics to manipulate some of the signals a bit.

I think your biggest challenge will be to find an ecu that's intended for an engine with a sufficiently similar profile in terms of things like air flow and torque at different revs and load. By that I mean, if you take an ecu that's meant to go on a modern 1.2 litre turbo, just for example, it's going to be programmed to have entirely different injector intervals at different revs than an ecu for an older 2 litre normally aspirated engine. The former is going to scream for max fuel flow at around 6000 romantic while the latter is most thirsty around 4000 rpm, higher than that the air flow is going to be restricted by the mere 4 inlet valves instead of 8 inlet valves under pressure from a turbo. Of course that affects injector intervals because you want to keep the mix right. The air flow sensor should correctly regulate all that if course, unless the signal goes out of range (according to the ecu) in which case it will want to fall back to mappings.

So I reckon, if you can either find an ecu for an engine with similar graphs, and you can do some basic electronics to make your sensors give the right feedback,I reckon you'd get it working. I personally wouldn't have the confidence to try though. I wish you the best of luck.
rippedoffagain is offline   Reply With Quote