Thread: Amazon: - 1965 Volvo Amazon (121)
View Single Post
Old Mar 30th, 2014, 22:03   #234
DQ81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackman View Post
DQ, that was exactly one of my ideas. Buy a 940 and run it to get an idea of the condition of the engine before setting up Vems ecu to run the engine, may not produce more hp than the standard setup but its not what im after. I think id be able to get more power and MPG with a standalone ecu using sequential ignition and injection. Couple that with a wideband lambda then it could be good fun.

Id be very interested in any knowlege you could share with me.

Thanks
Jackman
Why bother with an expensive aftermarket and therefore complexifying ecu. Volvo did a great job and had that b230 running as good as it can be (although massively DEtuned) by the end of the 940 model run (technically s90 for the last two years). You want a post '96 donor car as all the mechanical weaknesses of the block and head had been worked out by then. These are the motors that will do 500k km's and still run strong.

The reason you want a 'lpt' or "Low Pressure Turbo" which is the b230 FK is that it produces 135hp and lots of torque low in the powerband, it keeps pulling at that strenth close to redline.

BUT, Volvo was very good to us wanting to 'hotrod' this little robust engine. It's more powerful, I believe 160hp, sibling the b230 FT is EXACTLY the same engine. The only mechanical difference in those last two years (and I think the 92-96 range as well) of production was the wastegate on the turbo regulating the turbo pressure. This is has been proven time and time again with full tear downs. The internals are known to be good to 300hp with regular use and 400hp is pushing it but not yet gauranteed fatal.

By the later years, the b230fk had all the right stuff, forged crank, connecting rods etc etc. SUPER STRONG!

It's brother the b230FT produces more power simply by having more boost in it's programming and a different blow off valve that allows the physical 'boost' in boost!

Simply get yourself a 940 lpt, which didn't come with turbo badges btw because it seemed to brash and Volvo wanted to create a distincion in models, get a manual boost controller (and remember, there's a knock sensor so more boost will be met accordingly timing wise by the ECU), a boost gauge, use the 940 wiring loom, ECU etc. etc. your b20 sump, modify your b230 oil pickup tube (the sump and tube mod, are to be able to mount the engine straight up instead of at an angle as in the 940) and fab some engine mounts, do good exhaust, at least 2.5" and a solid aftermarket chip for your ECU. Many are tried and tested. You'll be around 180hp, a ton of torque, better mileage and a lot more money in your pocket for let's say: paint!

From my research what I understand is that with a good chip, open exhaust, boost around 12-15 PSI people are seeing just shy of 200hp. If you want more you are looking at injectors, bigger turbo etc. But from what I've read, you don't. So you should be good to go!

I've got one going in an MGB GT, for all the same reasons. 200hp in that car will be great fun, and it's extremely reliable!

Some links on the b230fk vs. the b230ft

http://www.turbobricks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=48745

http://www.forums.turbobricks.com/sh...ad.php?t=23466

Last edited by DQ81; Mar 30th, 2014 at 22:11.
DQ81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DQ81 For This Useful Post: