Thread: General: - engine coolant level
View Single Post
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 18:21   #6
john langrick
Master Member

A quick update and the plot thickens.

I appears to have a problem leaking coolant only when my son borrowed the car for short trips.

It was a warmish day lat week and I turned the heating off. I since lost coolant to within about 2cm of the bottom of header tank with warning message that coolant was low.

Coincidentally my son likes a cool car and when he borrows it he invariably turns the heater down. Invariably the car then looses coolant.

I never see water in the nearside foorwell. There appears no leakage from.the hoses entering the bulkhead.

As mentioned in earlier post I have a new radiator fitted and again no fluid loss under the car.

I do understand that there is a heater matrix on the inside of the bulkhead and pipes pass through the bulkhead to this heater matrix.

When the temp controla are turned to zero, is there a valve which reduces the flow of water through the matrix? If so, I believe it may be this valve which leaks when switching from hot to cold only. When it is either in a fixed hot or cold position it appears to be fine for months. It appears only to leak when transitioning.

Does this make sense, anyone had a similar problem, does such a valve exist and if so, where is it?

Cheers john l
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote