View Single Post
Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 22:18   #8
Quacker
Premier Member

I have and have had many 4wd cars over the years and the worse system by far is on the Honda CRV. In the scenario shown in the video, even after a 2014 [its a 2014 model year car built in 2013] software update, only done by request, it still isn't up to much.

The problem with it is that the clutch pack is designed to transmit no more than about a maximum of 30% of available maximum torque to the back wheels and will slip and quickly overheat if that figure is exceeded. In fact the propshaft, rear diff and rear half shafts are very lightly built to handle no more than that and the slipping wet clutch in the diff housing is designed as a safety limiter. I strongly suspect that they use the same components for petrol and diesel engines and the diesel's torque shows its limitations much more than the available petrol engines would.

Most owners will never notice, but I did very early on, when on a grassy hill the CRV failed to climb it. The Volvo can transmit 50% to the back and it has far more torque to start with. The Volvo climbed the very steep hill in the same spot with no problem. So has every other vehicle in the same ground conditions always.

I'm not condemning the Honda, because its very unlikely that many people would ever get into such a situation, but it can happen, for instance where front wheels are mounting a raised muddy verge and the rear are on tarmac. You would expect the rear wheels to push forward at least until they themselves encountered the muddy or slippery raised verge, but the Honda just can't transmit enough torque to push its own body weight using the back wheels alone.
One would expect that having paid for a 4wd car, that it would at least make a visible effort, but no. The 4wd system does work on it, but is best as a 4 wheel assist where all four wheels are on a near identically slippery surface, such as a snow covered road or a flat muddy field with a firm bottom.