View Single Post
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 13:59   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckledragger View Post
More questions again with regards to swapping from M46 to M90 (and bearing in mind I have a complete M90 equipped 1996 2.3 LPT as a donor):
  • Is it silly to try this on my own, with the car on stands or ramps, with a trolley jack (i.e no ramp or trans jack)
  • I will marked the prop to the box on the M90 LPT prior to removing it, but how am I supposed to know which orientation it fits to the diff on the HPT? Trial and error, best of 4?
  • But above all else, before any of the aformentioned and before I spend money and time doing this, it worth it? I mean if I go down the M46 flywheel and Swedespeed clutch kit route, mated to an M90, will it ultimately be worth the effort on a stock J-reg HPT car?
Last question first, unless you plan to or have already modified for increased power, no gains at all to be had if your current box is working as it should, 25 years of wear and tear taken into account. It would just be an exercise in spennering really.

As for the prop/diff, best of two positions. The 4 bolts are in an "H" pattern, not a perfect square so will only fit in two positions.

You could do it with the kit you've got but it would be more difficult and sometimes that extra pair of helping hands can make all the difference.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: