View Single Post
Old Jul 9th, 2015, 00:48   #7
Funky Diver
FD

I did multiquote the conversation and decided against it.

I'll set out my stall so it's plain and simple, but you're obviously educated folks so you may appreciate the view I have.

I do not, and NEVER have, condoned individual people for the lot they have in life. By the same token I am not going to insult you by being sympathetic as I don't personally know you or the challenges you face. I am however empathetic, I'm not a heartless ****, truly.

We all have challenges in life, physical, mental, financial, whatever it may be. I do not wish anyone to feel pain, but by the same token I cannot change that which is. It just is.

I do however have a view on that which pains me, so here goes. 4 kids under 13 (some might say it's my fault, lol) I pay tax, as does my wife. We're classified as "professionals" so one might expect some level of affluence and the fact is that is not the case. We get to week 3 in the month and it's scraping the barrel. So naturally I DO feel aggrieved when I go to houses (in my job) and observe the decadence that the benefits system provides. I observe the nice car on the drive, the free school meals for their kids, the music lessons and all the other trappings of abuse that is so prevalent in our current economy / political system.

I am not attacking individual people, and as Spitfire pointed out... the system is there to be abused. I just wish I had the lack of morality to do so (not that I'm insinuating that anyone here is doing so)

So a couple of points. Motability is a charity at face value. Let's face it, it's Government funded, and ergo funded by anyone paying tax. Their financial results prove it.

Mike, £200-300 per month (without running costs) is not exactly chicken feed. It's quite a substantial amount of cash for any family to expend on a vehicle. Especially when you consider that there are a number of vehicles out there that are perfect for task for half the price.

I do appreciate that WAV's need additional specification physically to cope... but really? The weight of a human being in a car designed for 5/6 folks? The market is awash with them, so surely there are a plethora of vehicles that are available at a more considered price point?

I will state right now that I am averse to charities full stop... I spent considerable time looking through roughly 100 charities accounts out of interest to see how these things work and where the money went. The net result is that Motability (as a psuedo-charity) actually stacks up very well... a large amount of the cash goes to the end user, Mencap on the other hand...
Funky Diver is offline   Reply With Quote