View Single Post
Old Mar 29th, 2024, 12:34   #20
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fika View Post
I spent some time in a "Nordic region" and found they have cheaper electricity and source most of their electricity from things like hydroelectric/renewables which makes it economically and environmentally feasible for them. But they also walk and cycle alot, even in subzero temps, seen a few people pootling along @ -35degC...

In the UK we demonise cyclists, walking is for peasants, and any attempt to encourage us to use cheaper and healthier modes of transportation is a "woke liberal agenda" as opposed to a "patriotic" (we need to be fighting fit, right?) and fiscally responsible one.
As a former cyclist myself, I don't regard the use of them as "woke", and I'm not sure who does. They're cheap to run and keep their owners fitter.

The problem in 2024 is that many, many cyclists use the pavements, which they shouldn't do, rather than roads, although this is probably in part because of the state of the roads.

Some cyclists also disregard safety such as observing traffic lights or walking their bikes across pedestrian crossings.

Five years ago, I therefore accidentally hit a cyclist, who was riding across a pedestrian crossing after the lights had gone against him. He got a bruise on his shin and my V70's front got badly misshapen as it absorbed the impact of him landing on it. It took many months, but he eventually paid up through his mum's household insurance.

So, in my view, "woke liberal agenda" aren't relevant and nor are bikes per se. It's more about riders who should know better but who might actually have been raised to care less.