View Single Post
Old Jun 6th, 2018, 22:51   #1
MissSpentYouth

Default d5 twin turbo fuel volume problem cuts out

I recently bought a non running 2010 plate 205BHP twin turbo D5 V70 D5

The high pressure fuel pump had failed and sent a load of bits into the rail and wrecked the injectors.

I have installed a second hand high pressure pump, changed the fuel filter and fitted 5 second hand injectors and thoroughly cleaned out the rail and high pressure pipes.

The car now starts and runs fine however if you put your foot down as soon as the power starts to come on full chat it shuts down and will not restart on the first attempt but will on the second.

The reason the car shuts down is the ECM shuts down the fuel volume control valve fitted to the high pressure pump. If I monitor the signal on VIDA to the Fuel volume control valve I can see it shut off.

I have tried a second high pressure fuel pump with fuel volume control valve and exactly the same. Also done a leak back test on the injectors and they all seem OK and perfectly balanced.

I tried another car today albeit a 2011 D3 still a 5 pot engine with the same pump etc. Its fuel volume control valve signal was 60% no load dropping to 30% on full power. Were as mine is much lower about 40% no load dropping to 20% full power.

Trouble codes are -

ECM-P009116 - Fuel pressure Regulator 1 control circuit low, voltage below threshold
ECM-P000200 fuel volume control valve outside threshold value
ECM- P009022 Fuel pressure Regulator 1 control circuit open, signal to high
ECM - P000100 fuel volume control valve , open circuit
ECM - P008985 Fuel pressure regulator performance - signal above allowable range

I have very thoroughly tested the wiring between ECM and fuel volume control valve.

I am going to replace the rail pressure sensor next and check the delivery of fuel to the high pressure pump

I am fresh out of ideas any help much appreciated.

Looks to me like there is insufficient high pressure fuel flow to meet demand at high power, the fuel volume control valve has to open up beyond its threshold value to try and deliver it, then the ECM shuts it down.
MissSpentYouth is offline   Reply With Quote