View Single Post
Old Oct 20th, 2017, 17:24   #15
ukden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard F View Post
I would be surprised if you do need anything. All that is required is to have a very flat top to the beam and you can check this by shining the dipped beam on a wall or garage door. Most headlamp designs these days have that for this reason.
Prepare to be surprised!

I agree, all I need is a horizontal cut off to the beam (very flat top, as you say).

Every time I use the car after dark it does indeed shine onto both walls and (white) garage doors as I leave home.

However, the beam pattern is indeed a nice clean horizontal line, but only from dead ahead and to the right. The beam from dead ahead to the left is also a nice straight line but it is at an angle of about 20 degrees to the horizontal.
Every car I have owned since 1972 has had a similar beam pattern.

I have been motoring abroad for 40 years (up to about 3000 miles/year) and consequently been sticking "beam deflectors" onto headlamps all of that time. The XC60 is the first car I have owned with LED lights, I had hoped that there might have been a more "Hi Tech" solution, it is looking like I may be disappointed.

I have asked Volvo Customer Support the question, when (if?) I get an answer, I will post it here.

Previously: MY2018 XC60 Momentum D4 Auto, Winter Pack, Volvo On Call, Rear camera, Electric deployable towbar, Tempa spare wheel.
ukden is offline   Reply With Quote