View Single Post
Old Aug 12th, 2020, 19:32   #1
Bigbunt
Bigbunt

Default The Unthinkable...

So the unthinkable thing has happened to my red '67 2-door; that last windstorm on the East Coast, stateside, dropped a large walnut tree across the rear drivers side quarter panel and trunk... Woe is me, very much woe!
insurance is totaling it but they are giving two options, namely take a sizable check in return for the car, or 2/3 of that amount to take care of it on my own.

While i figure out how to post pics, let me tell you what i see. It might actually help to hear before seeing. The car may have been saved from total death by the happenstance of a large piece of steel that was on the ground just outside of my portable canvas garage that kept the car from taking the entire blow. When i first saw it, the rear bumper was on the ground and the rear tires almost down to the rims on the floor. The trunk floor seems flat. The spare tire well is a little flattened on the bottom.The rear bumper is unaffected. The rear quarter panel, rear panel and trunk lid are toast. I drove it out from under the lifted tree and the rear end popped up and seems okay although i have not been able to look under all of it yet. Rolls and sits okay at first look.
The car is pretty good mechanically; the body is...meh. Front fenders need rust repair, hood needs paint, rockers are decent, interior is okay except for a split drivers seat bottom. The debate of course is do i take the bigger check and search for a better car or repair this one. Sentiment vs sensible behavior in other words.

Just throwing this out there. I've done a lot to this car mechanically and was going to do body things over the years, but I really don't know right now. I'm still in shock. My family and I all love this car. Its not perfect but runs great and i don't have to worry about it. I've had it for 7 years and planned on keeping it...you know...forever!

Thoughts?! You guys know what I'm feeling!
Bigbunt is offline   Reply With Quote