View Single Post
Old Apr 20th, 2020, 17:40   #2
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Good evening, Sam,

Please regard this as a personal perspective - other posters may disagree!

I had two 3 - series Volvos back in the day; a 1.7 GLE Saloon and a 2.0 5 Door GL. The smaller car (Renault engine) delivered reasonable performance and returned upwards of 40 MPG. The larger car (Volvo engine) was quite lively by the standards of the day, but only returned a little over 30 MPG.

My MIL also had one, an '83 360 GLE (2.0 5 Door) which expired with terminal rust when 19 years old. I think that is the most important consideration, mechanical parts can be relatively easily replaced, but body restoration is a much more involved issue.

We road tested a 1.4 (also Renault engine) but considered it to be under-powered (it is quite a heavy car). Automatic (CVT) was only available on the 1.4, which was a shame, as a conventional automatic 'box on the 2.0 would have made for a very nice car indeed in my opinion.

If I was looking for one today I would definitely lean towards a 2.0 as the fuel consumption would not be a big issue on a car that may only be driven 2 -3000 miles per year. I would look for a GLE from choice, with a GLT a close second. I would definitely prefer to buy from an enthusiast through this forum. You can be reasonably sure that the car will have been well looked after and will have the benefit of members' considerable knowledge and experience if you ever need advice. If you are serious, you could do a lot worse than place a 'wanted' ad in this forum.

But, I would always buy on condition and the best that I could afford ahead of specification. Remember that the newest 3 - series will now be approaching it's 30th birthday, and don't forget to check for rust!

Regards, John.