View Single Post
Old Nov 30th, 2018, 12:00   #1618
ma70
Curmudgeon with a turbo

Not been on here in a while, in that time I have...

Replaced the clutch master cylinder, bodge-fixed the clutch position sensor with a couple of resistors to get rid of the "engine service required" light every startup (new ones are a bit hard to come by it would seem and expensive for what they are). As part of this, replaced brake fluid.

Oil/filter service, oil still looks nice after a few hundred miles, not like diesels of old where it went black after 5 mins running!

PAS fluid flush/replace with correct CHF, improved the "twitchy" assistance but still need a rack/repair the original. Seeing as it's sandwiched in there I'll be buying a used one and strip/clean/check that before fitting, will keep original and try and sort it out too.

Replaced top engine mount, found faulty during master cylinder change, with Powerflex polyurethane item. Slightly more noise transmission at idle but I think that there would be with stock too if it was not completely separated/worn down and floating! Excellent result regards smoothness on take-up and starting/shutting off, never thought it'd make that much difference.

Found evidence of water in the passenger footwell, fingers crossed the original screen isn't failing as no sign of delamination, removed glove box and hopefully traced to heater inlet seal.

Repaired the fuel door spring retainer (with a couple of self tappers for now, don't see the need to replace it until I really have to.)

Replaced the blue slider blocks in driver's window regulator, and replaced the top rivet that had been popped out so that now works nicely.
(need to find a door membrane though as previous repair attempts someone has seen fit to just rip it out, and check passenger side is intact).

Apart from that, just changed wiper blades and enjoyed miles of comfortable cruising in a 195k car that feels (steering assistance excepted) like a 50k car. Think that's me up to date, next tasks are removing the wiper arms/scuttle panel and checking around for my leak/reassembling the glovebox when it's fixed.)

EDIT- oh, just remembered I miraculously found the left mudflap we lost. It was sat by the side of the road where it must have fallen, completely undamaged and not run over, no less than 10 days after we noticed it gone! So refitted that with some long rivets.

Last edited by ma70; Nov 30th, 2018 at 12:25.
ma70 is offline   Reply With Quote