View Single Post
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 03:40   #24
bfishervet

Thanks for the information. I was able to get the throttle body cleaned. The dealership wanted $120 to clean it, so I thought it was worth a shot to try myself and take it in if I could not do it. I was unable to remove the whole throttle body because I could not get to all four hex screws. I may try again when I have enough time to take the fan off and get better access. I was able to clean a fair amount of deposit away from the butterfly valve, and test drove the car about 20 miles around town stopping at several red lights, then on a stretch where I could just drive without stopping. I can tell a huge difference in the way the car idles. Prior to cleaning it would flutter from about 500 rpm to 1000 rpm. Now it idles steady at 700-800 rpm. I realize this may just be a temporary fix, but I will live with it as long as possible. I spoke with the dealer today about the recall issue, and he told me it was good for 10 years from the purchase date or up to 200K miles. The car was purchased in Sept 99, so I am 3 months too late!!
Thanks for your help.
bfishervet is offline   Reply With Quote