Thread: What's it worth
View Single Post
Old Nov 17th, 2020, 22:10   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jack View Post
It all comes down to finding that elusive buyer. The OP's 940 is gorgeous, and worth serious money to the right buyer. Equally it's worth about £60 for scrap to the wrong one!

As it's LPG'd it'll be economical to run, although for the purist the conversion detracts from the originality - which might, bizarrely, devalue the car.

Dave is right. with everything that's been invested in it the favourite option has to be to keep it and enjoy your investment. That's the conclusion I came to with my S90.

And Mercs are not all they're cracked up to be. I once owned a 1995 W124 E-Class saloon. Reputedly Stutgart's best ever model. Lovely car to look at, and superb to drive, but prone to niggling faults and (surprisingly) rust. It was 5 years old when I bought it, with just 50,000 miles up. But in the space of a further 55,000 miles it had engine troubles, gearbox troubles, rust peeping through the paintwork, wiper motor issues (that big single-blade sweep is impressive but complicated), and some of the air-operated accessories gave up the ghost. Oh and the speedo never really worked properly.

So what's the 940 worth? Well anything between £50 and £5000!

Jack

Thanks for that Jack and for pointing out the pitfalls of Mercs - i have tried explaining them to David via email plus some other knowledge i've picked up about Mercs and other pitfalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taiwan740 View Post
I've got a 940, but have fancied something different and have looked at changing it for the past year.

To find something equivalent that doesn't have all the garbage that I don't like from a car and has everything I do like, I have one car in mind but the cheapest I found of that particular model is 15,000GBP

Therefore, the 940 is worth 15,000GBP as its the equivalent replacement value. For me.

(no i will not pay that for a car lol)
That's the other thing, if ever either of my cars were in a position where they could no longer be used, i have very little idea what i'd replace them with. I have a couple of ideas but both would cost a fair whack to find a decent example and then i'd still have to make certain improvements to them to get them how i wanted. That would take more moeny so i daresay your estimate of £15k isn't far out of the way.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: