Thread: S40 (New) Electrics : - Glow Plug Relay Location
View Single Post
Old May 30th, 2022, 11:07   #7
iainmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingBiscuits View Post
Hi all, long time lurker first time poster.

I'm confused a bit as using the dice lately I've had some electrical hiccups, mostly all cured by a new battery apart from the engine warning and the glow plug relay causing mayhem.

The car is starting, running fine and I've just received a new relay. Now according to the Haynes on the 80KHW D4164T engine (Which I believe to have) this is located in the under-bonnet fuse box, which can be pulled from position.

It is not there, hence my post I guess and I believe I'm going to have to pull the lights and bumper off and it will be located there. I just wanted some clarification from more experienced mechanics before I go ahead, and, I presume I may be using the dice not to my advantage and that should inform me where it is?

Thank you
In a 16v 1.6D it is absolutely in the fusebox in the engine bay. I replaced mine a while ago. The only brown relay in the fuse box.

If you've replaced that and the error persists than it's almost certain that one or more of your glow plugs have failed. They cost about a tenner each and I replaced all 4 and the same error went away immediately.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GlowPlugRelay.jpg (220.3 KB, 15 views)

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE

Last edited by iainmd; May 30th, 2022 at 11:10.
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote