View Single Post
Old Jan 26th, 2012, 10:06   #12
340man

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggyjames View Post
It usually works. You might need to jiggle it a bit. The give-away is whether or not the 'tab' just inside the slot has popped out or not. If it has closed over the hole, the wheel lock won't engage. Once it has clicked 'out', the lock should engage.

Long-term, I suspect that lubricating it will fix the problem. I was recently told off for advising someone to use WD40 for lubricating locks - you need to use a solvent/graphite type lube for locks, else it just attracts dirty by being sticky!

cheers

James
Hi James

This morning I looked at my spare steering column/ steering lock and how it works. I think I can see what you mean about the lock popping in and out. It can be a bit lazy. This column/ lock was on a 1.7 340 GLE that I ran for 10 years and was fine. I recently broke he car up (sorry, but I must have given it 10 years more life than it would have got if I did not buy it).

On to the steering lock on the 1989 1.4 340 GL that I am using, just tried jiggling the lock, no success, tried WD 40 and worked it in, but still no good. I am not worried about WD 40 possibly collecting dust, most oils will to a certain extent, and anyway might be removing this lock.

Suspect that the steering wheel might have been forced in the past, but not sure.

The car is in reasonable condition, bought it off a mechanic friend who had it for about 8 years. I'll post some pictures.

For peace of mind, perhaps someone can confirm that the new MOT rule about steering locks does not apply to these cars?

Many thanks

Alex

Pics coming

Last edited by 340man; Jan 26th, 2012 at 10:46.
340man is offline   Reply With Quote