View Single Post
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 16:37   #49
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyS9 View Post
Well I can tell you that my 95 940 non-AC, temperature control controls a variable valve via a control cable. To my knowledge there is no solenoid valve on my car.

I originally had a problem where the heat would not shut off completely. It turned out the hose clamp on the valve had been over tightened and distorted the valve so it didn't close. The variable valve is the cut off valve. Luckily this happened when the valve was still available. I am absolutely sure it is variable and cuts off the heating.

I can't be totally sure I don't have a flap control as well, but I don't see any need for one. I expected the flaps are for direction only (defrost, feet etc).

Over the years I had learnt that the cut-off valve is only for AC cars with the flap control.
I didn't say you would have a 12v solenoid water cut-off valve Tony.

The heater control valve is NOT variable, it's either open or shut, as per the mechansim on the back of the heater controls. If someone can prove me wrong then i'll happily say they're right but even in old Minis, Moggy Minors and so on, the HCVs have been on or off, same with other cars that don't have a full-flow cooling system like my Jeep Cherokee XJ for example.

The diagram i added further up is for the manual LHD heater box, the RHD is mirror image and will have the temperature blend flap.
If you think logically about all i've said, you'll see it all makes sense.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: