Thread: Engine: D5244: - Ecm 6805 and boost related issues
View Single Post
Old Aug 3rd, 2020, 14:46   #86
Tomoose

So it's my turn to battle the dreaded 6805 issue. Mine is very intermittent. It throws the 'ENGINE SERVICE REQUIRED' message and goes in to limp generally on the first hard acceleration of the day on a cold engine. If I creep up to 70mph in limp mode (it takes ages) the message will go away and power is restored for hundreds of miles!

I have no other faults whatsoever in VIDA, just the ECM-6805.
I've checked:
  • Good Italian tune up done, although it generally gets a decent run and I use the performance, so it's not coked up
  • Engine mounts hold vacuum for hours
  • I've tested every single vacuum line on the car and they all hold vacuum
  • Replaced the vacuum solenoid on the air box (I had a spare)
  • Turbo actuator holds vacuum and it feels like it moves freely
  • I've checked all the boost hoses off the car and they all seem pukka.
  • 1 injector was very slightly over range at 3.2mm3(spec is 3mm3) so I replaced it and now all injectors are reading very nicely indeed.
  • Turbo control valve (near the EGR) has been removed, inspected and cleaned. The diaphragm appears perfect.
  • The accessible EGR pipework has been cleaned, although it really wasn't bad.
  • The intercooler was replaced with a genuine Volvo new item about 2 years ago so I'm confident it's not that, and there's no signs of leaks.
  • The car is well serviced (every 8k or so) and a major service including diesel filter was done 5k miles ago.

Other that when it goes into limp it drives fantastic, it's smooth and feels as powerful as ever. I can't see any smoke etc.

I'm really scratching my head now, and frustratingly it doesn't happen consistently and every time I put VIDA on to do some logging it behaves perfectly .

Any ideas what to check next? I don't really want to throw parts at it on a whim. I think there's something in it being the first hard acceleration from cold, but the temp sensors read correctly etc., and ambient temps have been pretty warm.

Any help appreciated!
2004/54 V70 D5 SE in Ash Gold,
2006 V70 D5 185 Ruby Red.

Last edited by Tomoose; Aug 3rd, 2020 at 14:51.
Tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote