View Single Post
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 08:10   #16
nosmoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by r-designbob View Post
Could you explain what actually happens with the regeneration?
I'm certainly no DPF expert and there are quite a few detailed threads and links on this matter, but this is my basic understanding of how regeneration works:

The DPF consists of a fine ceramic mesh or membrane that collects soot particles in the exhaust gasses. As the filter becomes clogged with these particles over time, a back pressure builds up in the DPF. At a certain pressure level, the engine control unit injects diesel directly into the exhaust system before the DPF. This extra fuel ignites and raises the DPF temperature sufficiently to burn the soot particles and clean off the ceramic filter, thereby 'regenerating' it.

This is a highly simplified explanation and I'm sure the ECU factors in many other parameters too before deciding to initiate a regeneration cycle. Any experts, feel free to contribute...

So much for the theory. I understand problems arise when the exhaust system is not hot enough to fully ignite the injected diesel, some of which then finds its way into the sump. With normal diesel this would not be a problem as it will evaporate out of the sump, but apparently the plant oils in bio diesel do not evaporate and just collect in the sump, raising the oil level.
nosmoking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nosmoking For This Useful Post: