View Single Post
Old Jan 5th, 2021, 08:32   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Volvo filters are made by Mann, not by Volvo. When you buy "genuine parts", Volvo put their stamps on the Mann filters & charge you extra for the privilege.

Have a look at the writing on the genuine oil filter closely for example & its highly likely you'll see both the Mann stamp & the Volvo one.

I'm servicing my S80 soon myself. I bought Mann parts from a local store, as they (Mann) manufacture the filters for Volvo after all. The oil filter was £8 & the air filter was £14. That's not a major difference to what you paid for those particular parts, but there's still a difference all the same for the identical thing without a Volvo badge on it.
That’s very interesting, yes, I service my own Volvo (oil every 6k) and i always note that the filter says ‘Volvo Mann’.

I paid £15,000 for mine (some time ago) so for me the extra £10.00 or £20.00 for an oil filter, oil, sump plug washer and oil was worth it for the stacks of Volvo headed paper I have.

Discs and pads etc have lasted 40,000 miles with life left (even the pads) so on the whole I have found the Volvo items to be good value.

Of course my car is now 8 years old with almost 110,000 miles on the clock so I may start going non genuine at some point in the future.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post: