Thread: Xc90 my2019
View Single Post
Old Feb 23rd, 2018, 13:36   #11
Deman77
Master Member

I just looked at some reviews hoping they would corroborate what I said. Not so they say T5 is noisy (if that’s noisy than I have no words for D5, but they only call that noisy too - it’s night and day) when revved and has more turbo lag than T6. I found it to be very hushed and super responsive. In fact it was not far off my i3 for low speed responsiveness.

I think they confuse gearbox delay for turbo lag. All new SPA have this 8speed Aisin auto that hesitates when slammed hard and is also reluctant to shift down when you slow down into tight corner, which is stupid because it shifts down if you just let it roll to a halt. Polestar doesn’t solve it before people go suggesting. From my research it’s something to do with it trying to never go into first if it can help it. But knowing it does it and anticipating it allows you to beat it. For fastest smooth non-laggy pull away you should experiment and figure out the maximum throttle input that will result in instant pull away without the lag, you then increase it as car pulls away - if you just slam it down you get the hesitation. With slow corners or roundabout you just need to stab the throttle a lot earlier to get it to engage lower gear (still mastering that one I don’t have a formula I get partial success - again I think it works when subsequent throttle input is not full but progressively increased). Of course driving as an OAP is the best recipe for smooth shifts. Think about it as additional Volvo safety feature plus it keeps former bmw now Audi people away from Volvo brand.