Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 - power tailgate sinks a few inches after opening

Views : 15439

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 7th, 2024, 17:25   #71
leckie

They were a bit delayed in the post due to the first set getting lost. Thanks DHL. But they came today and I just fitted them in less than an hour. All fixed and they work great!
leckie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to leckie For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2024, 13:59   #72
RobbyP

Quick update. I bought a secondhand (left) strut (from a late 2019 V60) on eBay and fitted it yesterday - problem solved, even though the strut has a different part number and looks different too - plus it was made in Germany not Sweden.
RobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RobbyP For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 8th, 2024, 17:06   #73
leckie

I actually have a spare strut now as only one of mine was broken if anyone wants to buy it.
leckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2024, 19:38   #74
PUFFLING

Another V60 boot strut failure here, hit my head twice! I have e mailed Volvo. Warranty was out in 2023, but not holding out much hope, but am inclined to take it further if no joy as I do think this a) isn't a part which should fail that easily - given the potential consequences b) there does seem to be a design issue given that the new struts are a different design.

Does anyone know if the XC60 struts are different to those in the V60?
PUFFLING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8th, 2024, 20:44   #75
RobbyP

Can't help I'm afraid. You could ask Volvo but as we know, they're not very helpful! Someone on here should know though.
RobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2024, 07:48   #76
smithjames0

Auodoc is a good website, for the V60 i've found STABILUS 447464 Electrical motor at £249 each. There is a seller on ebay who does a two pack SET 2x EL. GAS SPRING TAILGATE HUB POWERLIFT VOLVO V60 II gen. von '18 32357571 for £270. I haven't found anywhere cheaper.

Regards
smithjames0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2024, 08:29   #77
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Remember to factor in import taxes when buying from other countries, as we are no longer in the EU.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 16:02   #78
redfazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 6 View Post
Car - 2019 V60 ph II
This is a fate that awaits use all with these struts on early cars, it only a matter of time before they fail.
After the first initial tailgate sinks a few inches after opening at the end of October I decided last weekend to investigate the failure of one strut.
The initial failure is through fatigue failure of the spring, brought on from the addition of rust on the spring surface, this has happened over multiple areas of the spring over time rendering the spring useless.
You would of hoped that the manufacturing Tier 1 supplier would have conducted the fatigue bench tests to identify the life expectancy of these struts, but have they considered the additional fatigue caused by the surface corrosion on a stressed surface.
Likewise with ELK75 (post 12) there is no identified aftermarket units after spending Sunday afternoon searching Europe /USA on the web, but plenty of early XC60, so I need advice to see if the SPA platforms are interchangeable and usable as these are approx. £80 new aftermarket.
I would agree that the replacement part number is 31690924 as identified by JollyGeo (post13) for the new replacement struts. I did not persist in chasing the existing component part number for the bother of removing the interior trim for a clear terminal failure.
The initial failure was the same as JG81 at the top seal, but consider there is no weather seal between the sliding covers, which still allows air and moisture to reach the spring.

Thanks to SmartMac for the video.

Has anybody enquired at Volvo support for their viewpoint on assistance, many responses are posted here for Volvo to have stepped in to assist as a quality concern.

Photo hopefully attached

Regards to all
No6

Bit of a thread resurrection, but I've got the same problem on my V60. I've whipped one of the struts off but it doesn't look like you can open it (thought about cleaning and regreasing it) - did you damage the strut to get to the inside as the pic, or is there a way to dismantle it correctly?

Or is the spring actually broken? (be nice just to get a new spring!)

Last edited by redfazer; Today at 16:04.
redfazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 18:46   #79
Msim

For those that have had this problem happen, what has Volvo said if anything? Surely a problem that is seen to be occurring on a good number of cars of the same age would indicate a design flaw that should be remedied by the manufacturer? I've never come across failing power tailgates before and dread it at some point happening to my 2020 plate v60.
Msim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, sinks, struts, tailgate, v60