Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 - power tailgate sinks a few inches after opening

Views : 15985

Replies : 82

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2024, 16:45   #81
redfazer

Not sure if anything can be done if the spring's broken though?
Old Jun 18th, 2024, 16:47   #82
redfazer

Hmm. No pics. Try again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20240618_164203.jpg (123.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20240618_164210.jpg (117.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg strut1.jpg (157.7 KB, 14 views)
Old Jun 19th, 2024, 10:13   #83
Number 6

Hi Redfazer
I would preferred to do a PM on this subject as it is a pressurised system. Unfortunately I don’t qualify under the forum rules currently.
-
These are my actions and I am not instructing anybody to follow them.
-
That’s a similar mechanically to the strut as the one fitted to my vehicle, just that I have no ink stamp on the casings, but raised moulded plastic writing with a few less identities.
If you have a look at the lower end of the strut and see if there is play in the end of the strut see JG81 post 38 photo which may identify which strut is the weakest.
Back in October my R/H strut failed and I had a look.
My process was :-
- Insert Broom handle into boot first, on the other strut to boot tie down point-
1, remove the bottom strut from the car body, Care here, as the alloy forging is weak and may break behind the retaining spring, and refitting.
2, carefully slide back the top plastic weather seal (in your photo 5624) its shrink wrapped so just spin it off and try not to stretch it.
3. Top of the strut you will see two clips holding the outer casing in place disconnect and slide the casing down the inner casing and off the end you have disconnected.
4 the lower casing may or may not come off dependent upon the spring force acting on it, but it is withdrawn in the same way. See JG81 post 38 photo which shows the seals, if it doesn’t move, don’t force it.
- Once you have got the casing off, there not much you can do with the spring, apart from using Swan neck pliers to reposition the broken spring where it gets forced over itself in operation.
Clearly all you are doing at this stage is resetting the strut to fail again, but on my 2nd /3rd visit I used Cable Ties 100mm x 2.5 https://www.toolstation.com/cable-ties-black/p28946 three per spring break, and it has improved the spring action. You need to buy the real small ones as the clearance in the casing is tight.

Happy hunting for a new strut!
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Number 6 For This Useful Post:

Tags
pump, sinks, struts, tailgate, v60