Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

LPG, CNG & LNG - General Info and Issues Share experiences and problems

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 Emmegas single point conversion

Views : 956

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2010, 04:19   #1
Greatormevolvo

Default 960 Emmegas single point conversion

Looking to convert my 960.Basic single point system through throttle body adaptor(which has worked extremely well for about 100,000 miles on my jags)Wiring on my Emmegas changeover switch has purple wire to connect to "Fuel injector relay".I know this is to cut injectors on switchover but I don't know on this car where relay is and how to connect. Anybody done this.All help gratefully received!
Greatormevolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 19:59   #2
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Hint number 1 it is a very bad idea to convert a 960 with a mixer ring. When you get a backfire the manifold will blow off the car and it is an expensive and time consuming job to refit with new rubber hoses and clips. The 960 manifold is 2 part and joined together with 6 rubber hoses.

There a number of 960's out there on mixer ring and a LUCKY FEW as yet still have not backfired and blown the manifold off.

For the little extra cost of using a multi point system the improved fuel consumption with a mulit point would pay for itself over a mixer system in time. Any savings by fitting a mixer system would be lost when the manifold comes off!

Should you decide to carry on with the mixer system path then at least fit a closed loop lambda control system. Idealy a AEB lenoardo or similar that allows you to memory reset the petrol ecu. Without a closed loop system the fuel trims will drift off and the car will run poorly on petrol and be difficult/fail to start.

To cut the petrol injectors you need to use a AEB pitagora or similar injector emulator. A simple injector relay will not work and the car will not run with it. This is powered off the LPG solenoid live (normaly blue wire) so you do not need the purple wire you have there.

My advice comes from 13 years experiance converting car (maily volvo's) to LPG and advising many other installers around the world on installation and set up.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2010, 22:20   #3
M D E
Master Member

I strongly agree with Classicswede....Don't do it, I say this as my 960 had a single point and after 10,000 blew up ! ......

The explosion blew the inlet manifold clean off which in turn set alight to the engine bay, I managed to put out the flames ......but it took out the main engine wiring harness.......and most of the engine bay.

To cut a long story short ..... it took 7 months for volvo to repair, £8500 and lots of time and effort and had to buy another car in between .... (this was a few years ago....)

I now have a C70 running on a stand alone direct injection multi-point BRC LPG system........the Only one to go for.

Just speaking from experience.....
340GL,740GL,850GLT,850 T5,850 R,V70R,(95) 960 3.0,480 Turbos in white, black, blue, gold,S60 T5
M D E is offline   Reply With Quote