Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

B200E Camshaft

Views : 953

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2013, 16:19   #1
julianps
Master Member

Default B200E Camshaft

Hiya,

My B200E should have valve clearances between 0.35-0.40mm (cold).

As I'm doing the timing belt I thought I check clearances; I have one at 0.35mm, 6 at 0.45mm and one at 0.50mm. Not having a tappet compressor, and suspecting the rubbers might be shot, I elected to remove the camshaft (they are, they're completely cooked!).

Turns out the shims in there are mostly p/n463562 4.1mm (though there are two p/n463560 4.0's). That means, to pull the 0.50 clearance back to 0.40mm I need to add between 0.10 and 0.15mm of thickness.

But the thickest shim Volvo makes is 0.45mm, so I can't make up the difference that way.

My camshaft may be shot but all of the lobes are showing roughly the same lift height (about 46.4mm from back to tip of the lobe)
Quote:
Camshaft has an "A" stamped on the end float flange, an "8" and a "D" plus a "2", a "1", a "1000132" and a "LYDX6" => I think the first two are "eight valve" and a lift height code where D = 11.2mm
… but I'm damned if I know how best to use that information.

I guess the other possibility is that the valve springs are in poor condition?

Is there anything else I might have missed here?

If I use the rope trick to hold the valves how do I then compress valve spris to release the cotters?
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 18:44   #2
Beetledrive

I can't be much help, but have been contemplating on doing this on my B200E. I couldn't find a great deal of information about valve clearances, although there is this thread:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...alve+clearance

I also found lots of shims for sale (although I assume Volvo will be the best source):

http://www.skandix.de/en/spare-parts...rance/611/?s=r

Your calculations seem to be correct going by the formula in the haynes manual. I would be very interested to see some pictures (if you have time) and a report back of what (if any) difference this makes.
Beetledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2013, 20:45   #3
Volvodrivingbiker

what about lapping the valves back in then try clearances again it may be carbon build up the valves seats just a thought as you have the engine mostly in bits . could also measure the valve stems as well

Think Bike !
Volvodrivingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volvodrivingbiker For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 31st, 2013, 17:29   #4
Michael J
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by julianps View Post
Turns out the shims in there are mostly p/n463562 4.1mm (though there are two p/n463560 4.0's).

But the thickest shim Volvo makes is 0.45mm, so I can't make up the difference that way.

Is there anything else I might have missed here?
You have several that are 4.1mm... yet you say they don't make any over 0.45mm thick... is that right? Do you mean 4.5mm?

Last edited by Michael J; Oct 31st, 2013 at 17:47.
Michael J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5th, 2013, 22:36   #5
julianps
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J View Post
You have several that are 4.1mm... yet you say they don't make any over 0.45mm thick... is that right? Do you mean 4.5mm?
<blush>Yes</blush>
julianps is offline   Reply With Quote