Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2008 V70 2.4d

Views : 995

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 31st, 2019, 19:51   #1
chris900

Default 2008 V70 2.4d

Guys, I came across this and was wondering what you think...

2008 V70 2.4d with 6 speed manual gearbox in black with full leather interior. Excellent condition inside and out (apart from a split in the driver's seat). Drives like a dream, full MOT and a full service history from new. Timing belt changed at 225k. The bit that causes me to be hesitant is the mileage : 244k. The guy is asking £1250. Is it worth that?
chris900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 00:32   #2
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris900 View Post
Guys, I came across this and was wondering what you think...

2008 V70 2.4d with 6 speed manual gearbox in black with full leather interior. Excellent condition inside and out (apart from a split in the driver's seat). Drives like a dream, full MOT and a full service history from new. Timing belt changed at 225k. The bit that causes me to be hesitant is the mileage : 244k. The guy is asking £1250. Is it worth that?
That’s a car with an MOT and fsh?

It’s possibly worth it if it’s as good as you describe. The split seat is a shame, however.

If you ran it for a year without any trouble and then scrapped it then you’d still be doing ok.

Since you’d be stepping into a danger zone, however, I have some questions....

When is the next service due? What’s the age and condition of the clutch? Ditto the turbocharger. Any of these could double your spend without adding any value (apart from keeping the car on the road ).

Also, what is the state of the tyres?

Ideally at that mileage you need a car that has been maintained with no expense spared.

What’s the reason for sale?
Sotosound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 09:33   #3
chris900

Thanks Sotosound
The clutch seems to be fine, it kicks in as soon as you let the pedal out. The turbo also seems good, no whistles and no delay when accelerating. Tyres are not new but good enough for another few thousand miles at least. I don't do much driving, maybe 6 or 7k a year.
The owner has had it for 3 years. He wasn't really planning on selling it, he's a friend of a friend. He bought it with 224k miles and says it hasn't had any problems. It was serviced in November although not by a Volvo dealer so I'm assuming it was oil and filters only.

Last edited by chris900; Jan 1st, 2020 at 09:39.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 09:53   #4
Sotosound
Premier Member

Many thanks. Those are good indicators.

Another important consideration is your judgement of the seller. If they’re a friend of a friend then that’s probably a positive judgement.

Also, your low annual mileage will help, provided that you do enough long runs to keep the DPF in good order.

I’d be interested in what other members think.

I’d also be investigating the repair or replacement of the driver’s seat.

What’s the trim level? Does the stereo work? So many questions. Sorry!

I also know that you’re in danger of catching the Volvo bug.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 11:30   #5
40t

Seems an absolute bargain to me.

You'd like to think the shocks, springs, trailing arms had all been replaced by now

Last edited by 40t; Jan 1st, 2020 at 11:32.
40t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 14:38   #6
chris900

It's very nice. I bought it this morning, pick it up tomorrow.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 14:40   #7
Sotosound
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris900 View Post
It's very nice. I bought it this morning, pick it up tomorrow.
Cool.

Enjoy it.
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 15:58   #8
chris900

Silly me, it's a 2009, not 2008
Old Jan 1st, 2020, 22:30   #9
ferg55

As long as it hasn't been abused, then the mileage isn't of concern for the major bits, and even if you need to replace some maintenance items like bushes, shocks, brakes etc etc then it's still a good buy at that money. It shouldn't cost you any more to maintain than a 100k mile Fiesta. Any other £1250 car will need similar work doing on it, but won't have nearly as much life remaining in it - these cars do mammoth miles. Add to that you won't get a safer car for the money.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ferg55 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 2nd, 2020, 01:46   #10
chris900

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
As long as it hasn't been abused, then the mileage isn't of concern for the major bits, and even if you need to replace some maintenance items like bushes, shocks, brakes etc etc then it's still a good buy at that money. It shouldn't cost you any more to maintain than a 100k mile Fiesta. Any other £1250 car will need similar work doing on it, but won't have nearly as much life remaining in it - these cars do mammoth miles. Add to that you won't get a safer car for the money.
ferg55, that's exactly how I'm looking at it. Ongoing maintenance is part and parcel of car ownership, no matter what make it is and this car certainly hasn't been abused from what I can tell. The paper trail is like nothing I've ever seen. I'll need to look into getting the split on the driver's seat fixed but otherwise the car is immaculate inside and out.
The Following User Says Thank You to chris900 For This Useful Post: