Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

It’s that time again. The end of the Manufacturer’s Warrant

Views : 5811

Replies : 45

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Who would you choose
Volvo’s extended warranty (but it’s an insured product) 30 76.92%
WArranty Wise - voted no 1 extended warranty company 1 2.56%
Warranty Direct - I’ve had good experiences here 2 5.13%
Other - please specify who and why. 6 15.38%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 5th, 2021, 10:21   #1
Crockers
Premier Member

Default It’s that time again. The end of the Manufacturer’s Warrant

Have just been offered the Extended Volvo Warranty - but it’s quite a lot more than others. So time for a Poll lol.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 10:44   #2
Zebster
Upstanding Member

How about 'nothing'? Warranty/insurance companies do make massive profits out of people's fears!

I bought mine at three years old (from an auction, so no warranty) and - as usual with our cars and home - have been taking the hit for repairs as I go along, which has been so much cheaper than three year's worth of extended warranty policies.

Volvo have actually been great in replacing all the badly designed parts that commonly cause failures (usually for free, but at a massive discount otherwise) and I do fear that all warranties would naturally have so many exclusions for 'wear and tear' items that you'd be lucky to actually make a claim anyway.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 11:11   #3
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

+1 for nothing. Simply keep a little aside each month for the unforseen, while making sure you minimise any risk by keeping the vehicle scrupulously maintained. It is a gamble but one which has always worked in my financial favour.

If you keep it dealer serviced then you may qualify for goodwill contributions for any failures, but if you take it outide of the dealer network for servicing you lose that opportunity anyway.

Obviously, if you're the sort to miss the odd service, who fits Nan Kang Woosung bakelite budget tyres, or uses Fred in a Shed budget corrugated steel roof garage for servicing, then going without a warranty may not work for you.

The warranty expired on my Volvos 13, 10 and 6 years ago, and not one has needed so much as a bulb - above and beyond regular servicing and consumables - in that time, and the money saved on aftermarket insurance policies has been spent on booze and call girls, which is much more fun.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 12:43   #4
bluey_xc90

Normally would say don't worry, but with my new xc90 will extend the warrantly till at least 5 years (will keep the car for at least 6 years from new).

Newer SPA cars are so complex, especially with hybrid/mild hybrid and all the tech in them that issues can rapidly go into the thousands...
bluey_xc90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluey_xc90 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 12:46   #5
techwatcher
Master Member

Personally I wouldn't run a car of this complexity without a warranty.

When things go wrong the costs can get very expensive very quickly.

However the decision depends on your risk appetite. You may be fortunate and have no significant problems for several years after expiry of the manufacturer's warranty. On the other hand, have you seen the price of, for example, a replacement LED headlight?

Volvo are pretty good in general with goodwill contributions IF you've used dealer servicing but even a hefty contribution could leave you with a significant bill depending on the parts involved.

At the end of the day it's (literally) an insurance policy and an individual's decision.
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 13:08   #6
KFCKFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
Have just been offered the Extended Volvo Warranty - but it’s quite a lot more than others. So time for a Poll lol.
Hi, what is the quote for the three options?
KFCKFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 13:22   #7
isleaiw
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
There isnt an option for swap the car. Come on Crockers, its a forum, we need an upsell option!

But of the choices, Volvo warranty, Volvo servicing, and then if you have any issues there is no chance of them trying to pass the buck...
isleaiw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 13:42   #8
Raddish

What are the prices?
Raddish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 13:48   #9
Kev0607
Premier Member

The problem is you have to fully understand what’s covered & what isn’t. You could spend hundreds on a warranty, if you were to go for one & it not to be worth the paper its written on.

On a newer/more complex car like yours, I’d be inclined to have a warranty & I’d stick with Volvo’s one. As I said, check what’s covered & what isn’t. I think Volvo’s warranty, even though its an insurance would be more thorough than some other aftermarket insurance policy. That’s purely speculative, so you’d have to check the fine print.

If you haven’t had your car maintained by the dealer since you’ve owned it, then the extended warranty is pointless. They’d use that as a clause as to why something went wrong & you’d have to pay a hefty chunk towards repairs, but they may contribute (not guaranteed). Either way, you’ll either be left with a very hefty repair bill or a bill of some sort because the car wasn’t dealer maintained (if you get an extended warranty & the car wasn’t dealer maintained).

Last edited by Kev0607; Aug 5th, 2021 at 14:01.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5th, 2021, 15:35   #10
Crockers
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFCKFC View Post
Hi, what is the quote for the three options?
£47 a month for Volvo. £23 for the others.