Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 960 / oil the throttle body & manifold / PCV

Views : 829

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2022, 14:25   #1
AntoineBa

Default Volvo 960 / oil the throttle body & manifold / PCV

Hello everyone,

I noticed that in my Volvo 960 2.5 l 1995, I can find oil in the inlet manifold and in the throttle body, and that the oil consumption of the car in higher than it should.

I have done the glove test for the PCV system but did not notice excessive pressure from the crankcase.

Anyway, at Christmas I will service the PCV system, as I already have bought the parts (not really looking forward to it, as it seems a painful operation).

The car is also equipped with an EGR valve that I am planning to clean.

To your knowledge, could there be a clogged pipe / channel in the PCV system that would force oil from the crankcase to the intake manifold without provoking excessive pressure, or should I expect something more serious (piston rings) about this oil flood? Could there be a relationship with the EGR valve?

The thermostat of my air box was dead and the flap was set to 100% hot air, smaller diameter input (3.5 cm diameter vs 6.5 cm for the cold air), so the car was missing air volume at higher revs, but I doubt there could be a link between this and the oil in the intake.

Thanks & Regards,

Antoine
AntoineBa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AntoineBa For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 07:33   #2
Piet22

The flap is operated by a wax-cartridge on the bottom of the airbox.
If yours is still the original it is almost certainly dead now.
Part nr is 1266826

Piet22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Piet22 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 07:45   #3
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Its normal to get some oil in the throttle body - how much are you seeing?

This is the throttle body of my last whiteblock engined car, an S70 T5, before I cleaned it -

RollingThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RollingThunder For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 12:45   #4
AntoineBa

Thanks, indeed, it is this small thermostat which failed, leaving the flap on 100% hot air. Mine is very similar, but not exactly the same, as in my air box, it needs to be bolted. I cannot find it, but in the meantime, I have secured the flap to 100% fresh air using a nail to replace the thermostat shaft.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AntoineBa For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 12:50   #5
AntoineBa

My throttle body was as dirty as yours, but more generally, there is constantly a certain amount of oil at the bottom of the intake manifold, and also traces of oil in the duct between the MAF sensor and the intake manifold. On a 960 group on Facebook, I have been replied that all 960s have this issue, as the breathing system of the engine is undersized, so this is pretty reassuring.
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 13:01   #6
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

Indeed. I used a 5/8" hose instead of the smaller diameter OEM Volvo part. Its a pretty standard mod

If I was doing it again I'd use some copper pipe rather than the hose as it was a PITA trying to fit it under the manifold without kinking it and causing a restriction - which would defeat the object of the mod

These are the holes which commonly get blocked - in this case they were surprisingly clear.

I've usually found them to be literally 1/2 blocked when replacing the PCV system. It all depends upon maintenance and whether a good quality fully synthetic oil has been used.
Old Dec 7th, 2022, 14:52   #7
AntoineBa

It is a good idea to increase the size of the pipes. The person on the 960 group on FB has added an oil catch can between the intake and the breather box. Thanks for those pictures, I am planning to service the PCV system on my car at Christmas, and really not looking forward to it, as it seems rather painful. By the way, once you put the inlet manifold back, do you add any liquid sealant in addition to the paper gasket? I have seen on the Volvo service manual that the torque recommended to bolt back the manifold is 20Nm, it does not seem much.
Old Dec 9th, 2022, 06:46   #8
RollingThunder
Grumpy Old Git

No sealant, just fit it dry - thats how the factory did it.

Tbh I don't torque up those bolts as such - I just tighten them up by feel, bearing in mind its an aluminium head. They are done up *tight* though. Probably best to torque them if you're not sure. According to Haynes, the intake manifold bolts should be torqued to 20Nm.