Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Which Nokian tyres for all-year use in UK?

Views : 2524

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2010, 17:39   #1
ascender

Default Which Nokian tyres for all-year use in UK?

Sorry for another tyres topic, but I've been looking for some info on the forum and not getting anywhere fast, similarly Google isn't proving to be much help.

I've read good things on here about Nokian, they seem to be a good balance between safety, comfort, grip and wear. However, I can't seem to find out what the consensus is on the current model to go for.

I've not upgraded the alloys on our XC90 so they're stock 17s meaning I need 235*65*17. The only Nokian I've found so far in this size is the Z SUV, but I've not seen any mention of that one on the forum.

My XC90 came with Michelin Diamaris which have been OK, but I felt they didn't give as much grip in the snow as I'd have liked.

Any advice?

Thanks.
ascender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 09:09   #2
ascender

Looks like the following Nokian tyres are available. The first two are regarded as "summer" tyres by the supplier, while the rest are seen as "winter". I've read reports on here though from people using the original WRs as all-round tyres in the UK, so I'm thinking they might be a better option for someone living in Scotland who uses the car offroad.

Any opinions or experiences with them?

HT SUV
235/65 R17 108H XL

Nokian Z SUV
235/65 R17 108V XL

Nokian WR G2 Sport Utility
235/65 R17 104V

235/65 R17 104H

235/65 R17 108V XL

235/65 R17 108H XL
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 09:29   #3
AB-UK
Premier Member

If you can find the Nokian WR tyres, then I would say go for them.
I have a set which look and feel good after 18 months. They started with 11mm of tread and still have 7mm on them.
The WRG2s only have 8mm of tread to begin with, which is the norm.

The WRs are marked M&S, which doesn't stand for the well known retailer of womens underthingies, but for Mud & Snow. Correspondence from Nokian said that these tyres were considered to be for year-round use. I have experienced no problems with them at all.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AB-UK For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 09:39   #4
ascender

Thanks AB. I'm assuming the difference between summer and winter on their website is more aimed towards the Scandinavian market perhaps.

Looks like the WRs aren't available now, so its the G2 that's looking like the best option. Its the WR I was looking for initially, but the more digging I do, the G2 seems to get a good write-up as well.

Stupid question, can't believe I"m asking it, but what's the difference between 104V and 108V XL?
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 09:55   #5
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascender View Post
Thanks AB. I'm assuming the difference between summer and winter on their website is more aimed towards the Scandinavian market perhaps.

Looks like the WRs aren't available now, so its the G2 that's looking like the best option. Its the WR I was looking for initially, but the more digging I do, the G2 seems to get a good write-up as well.

Stupid question, can't believe I"m asking it, but what's the difference between 104V and 108V XL?
Load ratings. The higher the number, the better.

Unfortunately, the WR's have been replaced with the G2's.
I managed, just over 68000 miles, with a set of WR's, fitted to an XC90.

Have a set on my XC60 and once they are done, then it will have to be the G2's.

tem.
tem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tem For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 10:28   #6
ascender

Thanks Tem. I'm guessing the standard 104s will be fine for me as we're not planning on towing with it now. The 108XL is the same price actually, so will go with those.

Thanks to this forum again, I've learned a lot over the last few days!

Last edited by ascender; Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:51.
Old Apr 8th, 2010, 15:10   #7
ITServe
XC90 Exec in Grey Pearl

Wow - 68000 miles on one set?! That is amazing!
ITServe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 10:31   #8
BrianWM

Hi ascender,

You pm'd me and I tried to reply but failed - something about not having enough posts to allow me to pm someone. Anyway, if I post my reply here, maybe my experience this last winter might be useful to others.

I did get a set of WRG2's just before the winter, they were WR G2 Sport Utility 235/60 R18 107V XL . Actually it turned mild just as I got them & I thought since I had, it'd be a mild winter. No so as it turned out. They are night and day compared to the std fit Contis when the snow appears; well worth it. They don't ride differently to the Contis either; the XC90 isn't a sports car so I'm probably not that demanding. Maybe they're not as good as an extreme winter tyre but for a tyre to leave on all year I'm very satisfied.

I got them from mytyres and had them fitted at the local Volvo dealer.

As you observed, the US web site says all season, the Euro site says winter. I think this is to allow them to qualify for use as a winter tyre in those parts of Europe that make the use of winter tyres manitory. If they labelled them "all season", I guess they wouldn't qualify.

If they're all season in the US they must be likewise here. It actually says "All Season Plus" on the tyre sidewall.

Hope that's helpful.
BrianWM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrianWM For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2010, 15:22   #9
ascender

Thanks for the detailed post Brian. I've now received a set for the worn out rears and will get them fitted this week. Very impressed with the tread on them, will see how they get on. I did the same, ordered from MyTyres and they were here in a few days.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 00:04   #10
graym

There are a pair of these on ebay at the moment.
235 60 18 107V Nokian WR Sport Utility M&S New (#160421409397).
Realise it not the 17"s mentioned above, but these are common to a lot of XC90s.
I have four on my Xc90 and they are brilliant.
graym is offline   Reply With Quote