Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

P1 Platform Suspension Options/Codes

Views : 705

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 12th, 2023, 09:06   #1
smileyboy2501

Default P1 Platform Suspension Options/Codes

I have a FL V50 T5 SE Sport which I currently have Eibach Pro springs matched to Bilstein B4s. The combo is great by the way.

I want to return to standard ride height for various reasons. I have my old springs but they had done over 100k miles and look tired. I'm trying to work out exactly what suspension settings/options my car had from standard and whether I have alternative options when buying new springs.

I have the build plate no and so I am aware of the part numbers for exact replacement but I'd like to know how to 'decode' all the numbers.

The build plate gives a marked number to correctly identify replacement suspension parts but is there a massive list of all the suspension options and their respective build plate number/part number.

I'm probably looking for sport/dynamic? Presumably slightly stiffer than 'normal' but a more reasonable ride height.

Also does anyone have any suggestions for replacement spring manufacturers that cost less than 150/corner for genuine volvo?
smileyboy2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 10:21   #2
domhart10
Volvo S40

A good place to look would either be on the AutoDoc app. You just need to pop your car in there and it will show you the coils / dampers you are after if you are looking at going back to standard for a fraction of the cost.

You will find buying OEM from the dealer a lot more expensive which is why there might be eibach coils on your car with b4 dampers.

This is a good site to use for oem parts as well

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 11:04   #3
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyboy2501 View Post
I have the build plate no and so I am aware of the part numbers for exact replacement but I'd like to know how to 'decode' all the numbers.
I think VIDA will give you part description matched with part number (ie 1234356 Spring, front, sport) - I remember decoding all parts for mine using buuid plate and Vida and got definite answers (sway bar = sport/AWD, strut = comfort, etc). However those only matter if you are planning ot buy parts in Volvo, you have zero choice options as of aftermarket parts as it will be just "T5 spring" or "front shock" etc.
Do you have access to Vida to check them part numbers? if not, post them here and I can see if there is any description for them.

sidenote - B4 shocks are great and not that different from OEM ones, had OEM ones on mine and have B4 now, really not big difference, but I get that you want to go back to fully OEM.
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 11:53   #4
Damoh89

Intresting as I was thinking of going for b4 and eibach combo on my c30 rdesign,original shocks 110k miles so are tired but since worn equally nct test says all ok as no visible leaks,how do you rate b4 over rdesign shocks springs?not much in it comfort wise?as that’s what I was hopeing for
Damoh89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2023, 19:58   #5
smileyboy2501

Oh cheers I'll have a scroll through vida and see what I can find out.

I agree the B4 shocks are great. Can't fault those over stock. I'm just changing the springs back to standard and keeping the B4s. I'd just rather do new springs over putting the old 110k mile ones back on.

Regards B4/Eibach; I've done about 30 k miles with that combo. Comfort is a 9 if stock springs/b4 is a 10. Body roll is 10 for eibach vs 8 for stock. Turn in relatively unchanged.
Eibach/B4 will occasionally scrape the engine undertray/front bumper but never had any rubbing with 225/40/R18.

Overall I'd recommend the combo as a slightly stiffer combo over stock. The reduced comfort is more solid as opposed to crashy.
smileyboy2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smileyboy2501 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2023, 14:53   #6
Davidjsch

Default Part numbers

I always find this site helpful in identifying part numbers

https://partsouq.com/en/catalog/genuine/locate?c=Volvo
Just locate your particular model….😎
Davidjsch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Davidjsch For This Useful Post: