Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Need some advice on Turbo pipes from Volvo

Views : 1036

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 25th, 2014, 01:24   #1
Jp003
JP

Default Need some advice on Turbo pipes from Volvo

Hi

I have recently had a lot of trouble with my C70 2.3T5 Coupe with hesitation on acceleration. I have changed the Turbo control valve, cleaned the MAF sensor, cleaned the Turbo air intake, cleaned the PTC sensor but still no change.

I noticed the Turbo pipes were perishing so I decided to order some new parts from Volvo. I ordered the 3 pipes for the turbo control valve to turbo and turbo intake and turbo waste gate. Also from the exhaust manifold to the turbo.

So the pipes came and I started to rip out the old and install the new. All was going well.

Volvo sent me one pipe with a red collar on which had a bigger diameter than the other 3 meter lengths of pipe which fits onto the red port on the Turbo control valve and connects directly to the Turbo. The other two old pipes on the Turbo control valve (Yellow and Blue tag) have the same diameter as the new red pipe. Yet the new pipe to replace (Yellow and Blue tagged pipes) is a smaller diameter. In fact it is exactly the same size as the pipe from the Exhaust manifold to the Turbo!!!

I called Volvo and checked that I had the right pipes and was told i did. Have a look at the pic and see what you think.

The new pipes have made no difference to my hesitation problem and I'm now wondering if I have a problem with the Turbo waste gate instead.

If anyone can tell me if these pipes are okay or will make a difference to the operation on the Turbo I would be very grateful.

Also If anyone has any ideas why I'm suffering with hesitation on acceleration I would be grateful.

Kind regards

JP

3 x original pipes and 2 x new ones in the photo

IMG_7216.jpg
Jp003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 16:58   #2
scvolvo
Premier Member

I use silicon black, they just stretch over. Iirc 4mm i think
scvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 18:29   #3
960kg
Premier Member

Yes, but they give irregular boost and pulsate!

Volvo hoses everytime on the turbo otherwise could be a huge overboost and bent rods if the silicon fails!.......mine was supplied from Volvo in a metre length £9....

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 19:33   #4
Jp003
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
Yes, but they give irregular boost and pulsate!

Volvo hoses everytime on the turbo otherwise could be a huge overboost and bent rods if the silicon fails!.......mine was supplied from Volvo in a metre length £9....
You miss my point though.

The hoses I have took off are the original Volvo hoses with the colour coding on to correspond to the Turbo control valve.

In the photo it shows the 3 x old Volvo pipes

1 x Volvo pipe supplied, marked with a red band was the same size as the old pipe but the other 2 pipes now supplied by Volvo are in meter lengths.

In the photo I showed 2 x new pipe diameters which were exactly the same as the original Volvo pipe I had going from the Exhaust manifold to a valve on the Turbo, not sure exactly what its purpose is!

What I am saying is this smaller pipe sent by Volvo is now the correct part I require yet the internal and external diameter is smaller. Would this not affect the correct operation of the Turbo?

Also I don't know if anyone knows anything about the Turbo control valve but I have heard when you replace it you have to train it to get it to work correctly?!?

The process is something like this. I read it on a site once so it will not be exactly how the process works but its something like this. Warm the engine without any boost. Then drive the car at half boost for a period of time and then reduce to 30mph and do it again 3 or 4 times. Then stop the engine. Leave for 10 minutes and do the process again and that breaks in your new Turbo control valve. Something to do with the ECU training and changing settings to compensate for turbo control valve!

Is this relevant to a normal Volvo Turbo Control Valve?

Also I have heard talk of a non return valve which I think ive found it in line with a pipe going from the Turbo Air intake pipe to the Air intake system?! It is a white plastic insert near the front of the engine block and then tee's off left and right after the valve. Will this have any affect on my Turbo working correctly?

Some one must have had a similar thing happen. I'm thinking the Turbo waste gate needs sorting out next and after that im starting to run out of ideas.
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 19:45   #5
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp003 View Post
You miss my point though.

The hoses I have took off are the original Volvo hoses with the colour coding on to correspond to the Turbo control valve.

In the photo it shows the 3 x old Volvo pipes

1 x Volvo pipe supplied, marked with a red band was the same size as the old pipe but the other 2 pipes now supplied by Volvo are in meter lengths.

In the photo I showed 2 x new pipe diameters which were exactly the same as the original Volvo pipe I had going from the Exhaust manifold to a valve on the Turbo, not sure exactly what its purpose is!

What I am saying is this smaller pipe sent by Volvo is now the correct part I require yet the internal and external diameter is smaller. Would this not affect the correct operation of the Turbo?

Also I don't know if anyone knows anything about the Turbo control valve but I have heard when you replace it you have to train it to get it to work correctly?!?

The process is something like this. I read it on a site once so it will not be exactly how the process works but its something like this. Warm the engine without any boost. Then drive the car at half boost for a period of time and then reduce to 30mph and do it again 3 or 4 times. Then stop the engine. Leave for 10 minutes and do the process again and that breaks in your new Turbo control valve. Something to do with the ECU training and changing settings to compensate for turbo control valve!

Is this relevant to a normal Volvo Turbo Control Valve?

Also I have heard talk of a non return valve which I think ive found it in line with a pipe going from the Turbo Air intake pipe to the Air intake system?! It is a white plastic insert near the front of the engine block and then tee's off left and right after the valve. Will this have any affect on my Turbo working correctly?

Some one must have had a similar thing happen. I'm thinking the Turbo waste gate needs sorting out next and after that im starting to run out of ideas.
this applies to the IPD boost control selenoid mate
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 23:31   #6
Jp003
JP

Right okay that makes sense now.

Anybody have IPD Boost valve fitted?

They look pretty good. Shame they are not road legal!
Old Apr 25th, 2014, 23:50   #7
deathrider311271
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jp003 View Post
Right okay that makes sense now.

Anybody have IPD Boost valve fitted?

They look pretty good. Shame they are not road legal!
i had one fitted and removed it simply because when being mapped my boost wasnt controlable with it on so i have reverted back to a standard one.

It may well be as simple as with mapping the ME7 cars and the IPD TCV dont interact during the learning stages.
deathrider311271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26th, 2014, 02:30   #8
Jp003
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathrider311271 View Post
i had one fitted and removed it simply because when being mapped my boost wasnt controlable with it on so i have reverted back to a standard one.

It may well be as simple as with mapping the ME7 cars and the IPD TCV dont interact during the learning stages.
Interesting.

It's something that's interesting me the IPD turbo valve. My car is remapped too and it's been a pain in the arse for the whole 3 years I've had her. When she runs right she is so worth it.

I will have to do some more research into the upgrade and see what the crack is.