Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 760 vibration

Views : 613

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2022, 14:46   #1
Aubergine S70

Default Volvo 760 vibration

Hi, I’m having a few problems with my 760 turbo automatic. At around 60 MPH the car makes a strange humming noise and a vibration. So far I’ve replaced: propshaft centre bearing, rear gearbox mount, new tyres, rear axle bushes.

I had this problem a couple of months ago and a member suggested slackening the mounting bolts for the propshaft and running it and then tightening the bolts. I’ve done this and has made a little difference.

It seems to be coming from the drive line somewhere. When it does it and I put the car in neutral it’s still there.

However when the car is stationary and is in park or neutral a little whiring noise can be heard from the gearbox/ bulkhead area but goes away in drive or reverse. There’s also a little whine in 1st gear when setting off or slowing down.

I’ve also replaced the rear shocks and springs as the nivomats failed and still no difference. I also drained the gearbox and cleaned the filter all with new oil and still no difference.

Any information will be appreciated

Thank you
Aubergine S70 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aubergine S70 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 16:03   #2
capt jack
VOC Member

Not sure if the 760 set up at the front is quite the same, but when I had this with my 1997 S90 it turned out to be the lower wishbone bushes. The cure was two new lower wishbones.

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 20:20   #3
AllHailKingVolvo
Ye olde Volvii galore!

My 240 did this and it drove me nuts trying to isolate the issue. Turned out to be a worn propshaft UJ, had it replaced and it was quiet as a mouse.

Boring tech bit:

It tends to be diagnosable as a UJ if it happens at a specific speed rather than at a specific rev point in every gear, as the propshaft speed increases relative to road speed rather than rising and falling with the different gear ratios, and the worn UJ sets up an oscillation that at a specific speed aligns with the inherent resonant node of the propshaft itself, making it ring out. Usually if you are travelling above or below the speed that triggers it, the sound goes away.

Hope that helps!
‘88 745 GL B200E M47
AllHailKingVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllHailKingVolvo For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 26th, 2022, 21:47   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Sounds like the gearbox extension housing bush to me, also have you checked the ATF level as what you're describing from the front sounds horribly like torque converter cavitation.

Do you know whether you have the ZF box (P-R-N-D-3-2-1) or the AW (P-R-N-D-2-1 and an overdrive button on the side of the shifter)?

Also you shouldn't really select N whil driving at speed, it can cause major problems with the box!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2022, 14:58   #5
Aubergine S70

Hi, thank you for the information.

Ive had the car on a MOT shaker plate and all the front arm bushes are solid no play, they’re the originals but aren’t cracked or damaged. I’ve just had new genuine Volvo track rod ends fitted new tyres and tracking. The rear trailing arm bushes are good also.

When I got the centre bearing changed at a professional shop they said the UJs were all good and didn’t need balancing so they just changed the bearing.

The car is fitted with a ZF box. The noises I can hear are from the torque converter area I now can confirm and it makes sense. I’ll check the levels when hot and running and possibly buy a new filter from Rock Auto in the states.

Thank you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aubergine S70 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2022, 15:33   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine S70 View Post
Hi, thank you for the information.

Ive had the car on a MOT shaker plate and all the front arm bushes are solid no play, they’re the originals but aren’t cracked or damaged. I’ve just had new genuine Volvo track rod ends fitted new tyres and tracking. The rear trailing arm bushes are good also.

When I got the centre bearing changed at a professional shop they said the UJs were all good and didn’t need balancing so they just changed the bearing.

The car is fitted with a ZF box. The noises I can hear are from the torque converter area I now can confirm and it makes sense. I’ll check the levels when hot and running and possibly buy a new filter from Rock Auto in the states.

Thank you
Forgot to ask - what ATF are you using?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 27th, 2022, 15:46   #7
Aubergine S70

Hi, I use Dexron 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Aubergine S70 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2022, 10:00   #8
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aubergine S70 View Post
Hi, I use Dexron 2
That should be fine so i'd definitely chek the level. Be aware there are two marks on the dipstick, a cold and a hot mark. The hot is higher. Depending which dipstick you have, you may have two holes in the dipstick, one lower than the other or two lines, one either side or possibly two lines on the same side with hatching in between.
Hot and running after selecting each gear then back to P in between, pull the dipstick out, wipe it cean with a lint-free colth, reinsert all the way and immediately remove and read the level. Top up if needed.

Also worth dribbling some of the fluid off the dipstick onto plain white kitchen roll and checking the colour. Should be pinky-red.