Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help please With Headlamp problem

Views : 2051

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 29th, 2015, 21:47   #1
olamike

Default Help please With Headlamp problem

Hello

My s40 1.9d 2004 just failed its mot because the passenger side headlight was low, when i ask the place to adjust it, they told me it was headlamp unit was broken and couldn't be ajusted and i need a new one.

Question does anyone have any spare they want to sell and is it easy to change the headlamp or can some point me to a how to guide for this

thanks
olamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 21:59   #2
andytyler99

Default headlight

my adjuster broke on old v40
got new whole unit on ebay
theres a good guide to changing it on youtube
easy task..

but i have seen it mentioned on here you might be able to replace the brittle movement bit that breaks. someone else might be able to confirm this
andytyler99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 22:03   #3
gatos
Premier Member

Most probably this little part is broken. You can buy this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-S40-...item3aa01db35e and just fit it in your current headlight. It is a bit fiddly if you have never done it before, but with patience you will get there.

Alternatively, if you still want a headlight, I have a couple of spare ones atm. However, I would recommend you replace the adjuster as it is cheaper and it will last a lot longer

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2015, 22:03   #4
V40DSchariot
Master Member

I had that problem on my old S40, the plastic adjusters get hot/cold get brittle and break. A quick fix, I managed to glue the main body of the adjuster into the headlight but you have to ensure that the glue doesn't go anywhere near the centre screw or you won't have any adjustment at all, if that helps. Be better taking the headlight out to do that as well.
V40DSchariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 12:15   #5
olamike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatos View Post
Most probably this little part is broken. You can buy this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-S40-...item3aa01db35e and just fit it in your current headlight. It is a bit fiddly if you have never done it before, but with patience you will get there.

Alternatively, if you still want a headlight, I have a couple of spare ones atm. However, I would recommend you replace the adjuster as it is cheaper and it will last a lot longer

Hi Gatos,

cheers for that, to be honest i don't know what is broke, just going by what the guys at the mot place said - he basically removed the black cap at the back and then moved the headlight unit and you could see that the whole unit was rattling - (if it makes any sense)

how much do you want for the lamp or is it better to just try and fix my own, I need to retest by wednesday
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 13:18   #6
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olamike View Post
Hi Gatos,

cheers for that, to be honest i don't know what is broke, just going by what the guys at the mot place said - he basically removed the black cap at the back and then moved the headlight unit and you could see that the whole unit was rattling - (if it makes any sense)

how much do you want for the lamp or is it better to just try and fix my own, I need to retest by wednesday
To be honest, the cheapest and most logical way, would be for you to get the adjuster. Email the guy and see if he can post it asap.

The headlight I have is the standard chrome bezelled one and I am after £20 for it plus the postage. Can post it with UPS for £6 delivered to your local UPS access point store. There should be one within a mile or two from your place. Check here: https://www1.parcel2go.com/couriers/ups-access-point to see how near there is one
It will be there on Monday or Tuesday the latest.

Nullius in Verba
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 13:46   #7
olamike

ok cheers i will email him now. if that doesn't work then i will come back to you. do you know where i can find an how guild for sorting this

on the side do you have any map sensor/ boost sensor for sale do you?

thanks
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 14:17   #8
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by olamike View Post
ok cheers i will email him now. if that doesn't work then i will come back to you. do you know where i can find an how guild for sorting this

on the side do you have any map sensor/ boost sensor for sale do you?

thanks
What car have you got?

Nullius in Verba
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 15:46   #9
olamike

s40 1.9d 2004
Old Jan 30th, 2015, 21:15   #10
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

I see for £4.59 you can fit laser beams to the back of the car. Useful for vapourising tailgaters.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-...3D251794404190.