Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Drive shaft broken, Chassis type confusion. Help?

Views : 1544

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 17th, 2023, 11:48   #1
cogs

Default Drive shaft broken, Chassis type confusion. Help?

Can anyone help me out with this, my V40 2002 2.0 manual has just broken it's driverside drive shaft. I lost all drive and when I pulled back the inner most rubber bellows, not the cvj one behind the hub the one further back , the remains of the cage and the ball bearings fell out.

I'm trying to get another drive shaft, I know to count the abs ring notches, but when I reference it to a search I get two different chassis types quoted either 645 or VW. Can anyone explain this or offer advice on changing or getting a drive shaft.
Much thanks for any info.
cogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2023, 19:26   #2
ITSv40
VOC Member

I have the exact same model as yours.

The version/variant is on the V5 - attachment shows my V5.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230417_191855.jpg (183.2 KB, 19 views)
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 06:30   #3
dingov70
Master Member

Morning , try these people . Very quick and prices are a amazingly low . Never had any issues with them and know of plenty in the motor trade who regularly buy from them

https://www.jandrcvjoints.co.uk/volv...ve-shaft/DS368
Old Apr 18th, 2023, 10:05   #4
cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSv40 View Post
I have the exact same model as yours.

The version/variant is on the V5 - attachment shows my V5.
Durh!, How dumb I now feel. Totally forgot about looking on V5. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to cogs For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 19th, 2023, 21:30   #5
ralnavman
VOC Member

Cogs, can I ask how you got on with getting your driveshaft as I have a 2002 2.0l non-turbo where exactly the same inner joint has gone but on my left side and I cannot for the life of me find a shaft. J&C have told me that they can't supply it., no longer available from Volvo and Autodoc are out of stock!
Trying to find if it is the same as any other models
ralnavman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2023, 18:08   #6
cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralnavman View Post
Cogs, can I ask how you got on with getting your driveshaft as I have a 2002 2.0l non-turbo where exactly the same inner joint has gone but on my left side and I cannot for the life of me find a shaft. J&C have told me that they can't supply it., no longer available from Volvo and Autodoc are out of stock!
Trying to find if it is the same as any other models
I did the job with no problems, I go the shaft off eBay via a this company
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/premiumpa...75.m3561.l2559
I think it's made in china but what isn't nowadays. Quality looked OK, teeth and dimensions were spot on to the one that came off.
I've done just shy of 400 miles since fitting and all seems Ok with shaft just got a fuel gauge issue now.
Old May 17th, 2023, 18:25   #7
ralnavman
VOC Member

Default Identifying

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogs View Post
I did the job with no problems, I go the shaft off eBay via a this company
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/premiumpa...75.m3561.l2559
I think it's made in china but what isn't nowadays. Quality looked OK, teeth and dimensions were spot on to the one that came off.
I've done just shy of 400 miles since fitting and all seems Ok with shaft just got a fuel gauge issue now.
Cogs, I must apologise as I've been away and hadn't seen your reply till now...
Can I ask what info the seller wanted as your helpful link takes me to his shop. From your description of your issue, it does sound as if it is the same sort of joint, i.e. a lobro. It's just I've tried a lot of different joints from shafts and they are so slightly different. A turbo of the same year for instance has a 2mm bigger shaft and a tooth difference of 1 !! I can't afford to get a wrong one.
Thanks again
Old May 18th, 2023, 15:59   #8
cogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralnavman View Post
Cogs, I must apologise as I've been away and hadn't seen your reply till now...
Can I ask what info the seller wanted as your helpful link takes me to his shop. From your description of your issue, it does sound as if it is the same sort of joint, i.e. a lobro. It's just I've tried a lot of different joints from shafts and they are so slightly different. A turbo of the same year for instance has a 2mm bigger shaft and a tooth difference of 1 !! I can't afford to get a wrong one.
Thanks again
Under the listing for the shaft I bought there was tables giving the number of splines and number of ABS teeth. There is also the compressed shaft length measurement. To get all this you have to remove the shaft as I did.

The shaft I got had corresponding measurements and teeth numbers etc. But is was slightly different in that the one I took off had ball bearings in a cage joint towards the transmission end but the new one had a tripod sort of joint which I believe was a modified version fitted to later models so there was on problem I fitting.

The company was very helpful and I'd certainly use them again.
Old May 24th, 2023, 11:47   #9
ralnavman
VOC Member

That's excellent, thank you. Good news that you haven't had any issues with it. From what I've found out, the lobro joint that we both had originally was supposedly a better joint for handling more power. I can only assume that the quality of the tripod joint has improved so that it can now cope with any extra power and reduces the number of different shafts being manufactured.

I shall order one!

PS Again I missed your reply, even though I've checked back every day, weird, your reply hasn't shown till now..
Thanks again for your replies and help, brilliant.
The Following User Says Thank You to ralnavman For This Useful Post: