Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seicento vs. XC70

Views : 799

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 27th, 2016, 19:46   #1
mantee78

Default Seicento vs. XC70

I was thinking to post it in the Joke of the day thread, but this is still a car accident, so nothing to laugh at... well... at least I'm trying not to laugh

http://youtu.be/4yeCG6SS5wI
mantee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 20:07   #2
tt82
Forum Support Team

Not sure about this one. There is damage to the rear of the XC70 but considering the state of the Fiat, I would expect the red reflectors on the rear of the bumper to be smashed. I think the circumstances are quite different to those that are being reported.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 20:11   #3
mantee78

Quote:
Originally Posted by tt82 View Post
Not sure about this one. There is damage to the rear of the XC70 but considering the state of the Fiat, I would expect the red reflectors on the rear of the bumper to be smashed. I think the circumstances are quite different to those that are being reported.
This video is published by the volvo's owner. He stated that seicento drove into his back, no people injured.
The Seicento is quite narrow so it's possible that red reflectors are in one piece.

Last edited by mantee78; Apr 27th, 2016 at 20:14.
Old Apr 28th, 2016, 06:27   #4
inchindown
Futurist

I was involved in a similar accident a few years ago when I lived in London. A ford Sierra ran into the back of my Renault 18. There was very little damage to my car but the Sierra front end was totalled.

I think the excess damage in these cases is that the crashing car is standing on the brakes and causing the nose to dip down below the bumper of the car it is hitting so that it's the bonnet area that is taking the biggest hit.
inchindown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to inchindown For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 28th, 2016, 15:16   #5
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by inchindown View Post
I was involved in a similar accident a few years ago when I lived in London. A ford Sierra ran into the back of my Renault 18. There was very little damage to my car but the Sierra front end was totalled.

I think the excess damage in these cases is that the crashing car is standing on the brakes and causing the nose to dip down below the bumper of the car it is hitting so that it's the bonnet area that is taking the biggest hit.
Sad to say, I can vouch for that from my own experience in my old Citroen ZX where I stood on the brakes at a roundabout, from low speed but too late. My front bumper & grille were goners, the bonnet was folded and one front wing peeled back as the headlight on that side was smashed and its mountings pushed backwards.

The damage to the car that I hit? (a Saxo I think) Absolutely nothing ... to the extent that the very kind lady driver even called my insurers to let them know she wouldn't be claiming. Apparently all that her mechanic could see was a slight bend to her rear towing eye, which had gone right through my front bumper.

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2016, 18:14   #6
oldgreybloke
Master Member

Is it something to do with crumpleability ( I blame George Bush)

A few years ago, number one sons Panda was rear ended by one of his chums in a Polo. Polo was totalled. 3lb hammer applied with gusto to hatch shut rail on back of Panda sorted it in 3 well placed whacks.
Semper in excretia sumus, solim profundum variat
oldgreybloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28th, 2016, 19:16   #7
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

If it were my Volvo I'd be wanting a very good mechanic to thoroughly check the back end. If as suggested both cars were braking hard then the Seicento would probably go under the bumper of the Volvo but there could be hidden damage, the plastic bumper could have flexed and rebounded but the steel shell behind it may be damaged, I've seen that in a couple of cars that have been rear ended.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29th, 2016, 04:25   #8
mantee78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
If it were my Volvo I'd be wanting a very good mechanic to thoroughly check the back end. If as suggested both cars were braking hard then the Seicento would probably go under the bumper of the Volvo but there could be hidden damage, the plastic bumper could have flexed and rebounded but the steel shell behind it may be damaged, I've seen that in a couple of cars that have been rear ended.
There is a shock absorbing styrofoam insert, filling the gap between the bumper and the steel shell, to absorb the impact, not quite a bumper itself.
Old Apr 30th, 2016, 16:29   #9
reggit
Premier Member

Several (OK 29) years ago, I was driving my Dad's car to college, a metro turned itself into a similar shape to that fiat when it slammed into the back of me at a junction, I knew it was going to happen as I saw it overtaking another car as I was braking for the junction. The damage to the Rover P6 I was in - the towbar electric socket bent.