Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC70 2011 Radio replacement?

Views : 1970

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 10th, 2022, 15:34   #1
al dm

Default XC70 2011 Radio replacement?

So I have just purchased a 2011 XC70 D3 SE as a runabout. No nav or anything like that and only FM/AM radio with a CD player.

My other car is a 2018 XC90, and I rather like Apple Car Play and DAB. So.....can I replace the radio/CD unit in the XC70 with something more up to date?

It's a bit of a strange size - but I presume it may be a Double DIN type unit underneath the fascia?

Does anyone know of any suitable options for this car - or even good suppliers to talk to? Is it possible to get a new fascia plate that would allow fitment of a new head unit while looking like it actually more or less belongs there?

I used to be an electronic engineer, so not afraid of messing around with the wiring....

(EDITED to add: I now think that it's not a double DIN unit, but the Volvo unit is bigger than single DIN. Looks like I can get a fascia plate to adapt to single DIN from dynamic sounds.co.uk)

Last edited by al dm; Oct 10th, 2022 at 15:43.
al dm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to al dm For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 21:10   #2
al dm

So, replying to my own post as I do a bit more research.....

It would appear I can replace the current head unit with a single DIN unit and that there are some really rather good options out there. But there is a BIG BUT....

That BUT is that it appears that I would lose any of the functionality that the current LCD screen offers, which seems to be mainly audio related, but also displays the climate settings.

Has anyone done something like this and found a way to keep the climate setting displays somehow?

It looks like the only other stuff the LCD screen displays (and please correct me if I am wrong) is audio settings stuff, so that wouldn't really matter as any replacement head unit would have that anyway.

I am quite liking some of the big screen options (Sony/Pioneer single DIN units that look like they have an iPad bolted on the front), and if I use one of the (Connect2???) interface and fascia kits I also can keep the steering wheel controls.

I suppose losing the little temperature displays on the LCD screen isn't the end of the world, and the physical controls would still just give hotter/colder like most cars since forever.

Anyway, sorry for the waffling. Just wondering if anyone has done this kind of thing and can advise options?
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 22:00   #3
dhr90

I’m not so familiar with the 70 series cars, so possibly you have a screen/dashboard not so easy to update. But, it might be worth checking out swedespeed.com forums. There seems to be a pre sensus and a sensus aftermarket head unit available for the 60 series cars, which retains existing functionality and appearance, but adds CarPlay and a touch screen too. I’ve not looked to see if there is a similar thread for the 70 series, but here is the link which may be of help to you nevertheless
https://www.swedespeed.com/threads/a...-years.645022/
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 12:56   #4
al dm

Well, to conclude, I have decided against this project. It seems to me there is just too much "stuff" that uses the stock LCD screen and if I rip it out I will lose all of that!

So it's a no-go.

But I have ordered a Pure Highway 400 DAD adaptor so I can listen to my DAB stations.

I'll think about a reversing camera in the future, but don't really want to add any more screens or cable cluttering up the cockpit more....
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 21:13   #5
Olaf Els

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dm View Post
Well, to conclude, I have decided against this project. It seems to me there is just too much "stuff" that uses the stock LCD screen and if I rip it out I will lose all of that!

So it's a no-go.

But I have ordered a Pure Highway 400 DAD adaptor so I can listen to my DAB stations.

I'll think about a reversing camera in the future, but don't really want to add any more screens or cable cluttering up the cockpit more....
I think that's wise. There's no single DIN holder - the audio head unit is built in as part of the 'waterfall' console. I did find an Android unit that sits on top of the speaker/nav housing on top of the dash, but it was too expensive to justify.
My XC70 has DAB, and I've added a bluetooth adapter so that I can relay audio from my phone. Works well.
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 21:28   #6
al dm

I figured out today that I can stream audio from my phone via the USB anyway. It's a bit sketchy and depends on mobile data for streams such as "Planet Rock" which I like.

But the Pure DAB thing should solve that issue and also let me stream playlists from the phone (which I can now do anyway via the USB), but always nice to have a wireless route.

I also ordered up some bits for a MagSafe charging mount, so very soon this old girl will have all the latest Nav, tunes and DAB capabilities.

Off topic, but this is the first car I have actually owned for over 30 years. Previously I have had company cars or private leases - even if several of them have been Volvos. I am rather happy to actually have a depreciating asset rather than a tax liability / money pit.
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 08:24   #7
al dm

So, just to close off the thread, I now have the Pure Highway 400 DAB adaptor installed installed and working perfectly via the Aux in connector in the central cubby and using the USB socket in the same place for power. Nice and neat install with cables running down the back of the A pillar and under the carpet with no cables showing.

I also added a 40W dual USB charger in the cigarette socket powering an Apple MagSafe charger in a Spiegen vent holder to hold and charge my phone. I've hidden most of the cable run for that behind the centre console.

Phone calling works perfectly through the car's regular Bluetooth connection.

So all in all, I now have all my DAB stations, multiple nav options and all kinds of streaming available from the phone. It all works perfectly. I am happy enough now!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to al dm For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 12:18   #8
apersson850
Premier Member

My XC70, which is a 2012 with High Performace Multimedia sound system, has dual Bluetooth channels. One as a phone and one as a media player. One single phone can provide both, or you can split it on two phones.

This ability came with the Sensus system, introduced in MY 2012.
apersson850 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to apersson850 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 20:26   #9
uknowiama

Doing something similar got same dash.

You can do a single DIN install but you lose the menu display.

You can do a Portable CarPlay / Android Auto unit install.

Just in middle of doing mine. Is mounted on a brodit clip using a Quad Lock. As was using the quad lock to hold and charge phone to do music and sat nav duties.

I have the Carpuride system so can connect audio via FM transmitter or Aux in.

You can wirelessly stream music with a tunai firefly bluetooth receiver - plugs into aux in and power from usb.

I'll sort out some pics in the morning when light.

Dunno much about, so going to have a mooch around.
uknowiama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17th, 2022, 20:39   #10
Olaf Els

Quote:
Originally Posted by uknowiama View Post
You can do a single DIN install but you lose the menu display.
I'd be interested to know how this can be done. There's no obvious place for a DIN slot that I can see.

Quote:
I'll sort out some pics in the morning when light.
Thank you. I look forward to seeing them.