Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Immobilization issue

Views : 613

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 22nd, 2007, 16:19   #1
free

Unhappy Immobilization issue

Hello fellow Volvoists...

I have a 1995 440 SI and two fobs, when I bought it one of these fobs already didnt work, and the other one now gave up as well:

At first:
It didn't open the central locking anymore. Then I opened the drivers door with the key and noticed that the engine did not react at all anymore either.
I turn the key - nothing whatsoever from the engine. At this point all that turning the key does is switching on electrics and LEDs etc... just no ignition.

Then I bought new batteries for the fob, put them in, but nothing happens still. Only now, when I am sitting inside and turn the key not even the electrics turn on anymore... So I go and recharge the devious car battery and build it back in.

So the situation now:
I get into the car only by using the key in the drivers door. When I then turn the key to start the engine it actually makes the attempt, but won't jump on.
I tried putting on some gas to push it over, which actually works, but only for a few milliseconds, as it turns itself off again right away!

Ok, so this clearly seems to be the immobilisation, so I guess I need to reprogram the fobs. Is there any way to avoid this, or do it myself, as my local Volvo people charge £91, and that is even without towing it in, which I need to arrange extra!

Can anyone help please? I don't have the money for this at the moment and will need to car asap, as I am moving into a different apartment soon.
What a pathetic sight that would be - me and my wife carrying our bed through town on our backs
Edit: Actually we wouldn't mount the bed onto the Volvo, either I guess... but think about the TV! THE TV!

Thank you for any advise you can give.
-Patrick-

Last edited by free; Oct 22nd, 2007 at 16:22.
free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 18:40   #2
Bionicdad

Hi Patrick

i've just got a '96 440 Si. I dont quite have the same problem but the previous owner disconnected the battery as it had been standing for a few months and it was flat.
This meant that the immobiliser doesnt work now and the led flashes when i'm driving and doesnt when its locked!
The only cure is apparently to get it reset by a Volvo dealer/agent who has the VCT2000 diagnostic equipment. I've heard it costs about £50 from a main dealer. Hope that helps?

If loads of people jump on here and tell me thats wrong thats good (hopefully!)

Incidentally I was just on the net looking for a memory saver for when I do disconnect the battery as my drivers door only (un)locks on the key tho the other doors work on the central locking. This was the cheapest one i could find http://www.choicetools.co.uk/product...ducts_id=53336
its about £6 dearer direct from Draper!
Good luck let me know how you get on

Bionicdad
Bionicdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 18:33   #3
Multiplex

Try this...

Open up fob and remove battery

Hold down both the lock and un-lock buttons for around 10 seconds

Refit battery observing polarity

Try fob
Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 18:45   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplex View Post
Try this...

Open up fob and remove battery

Hold down both the lock and un-lock buttons for around 10 seconds

Refit battery observing polarity

Try fob
An Excellent recommendation which often works ..

The VCT 2000 is only for cars after 1999 , not the 400 series ,the 400 uses a hand held scan tool to program the fob , no codes no PIN no software :-) if you have the diagnostic socket with the red LED and flying lead you can program your fob through this with a lot of specific button pushing ...