Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

second hand ABS module

Views : 806

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 12:04   #1
mahonyart

Default second hand ABS module

Hi,

I think my abs module is faulty. Is it possible to just do a straight swap for a second hand ABS module as cant afford a new one at the moment. And can you remove the module without removing the pump?

XC60 D3/D4 2.0 2012

Thanks.
mahonyart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23rd, 2023, 15:22   #2
ele288

You can use used module as long as you keep the electronic part of the abs. Just buy used unit and swap the top of the module. There is other way but this is the easiest.
ele288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 20:26   #3
aedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahonyart View Post
Hi,

I think my abs module is faulty. Is it possible to just do a straight swap for a second hand ABS module as cant afford a new one at the moment. And can you remove the module without removing the pump?

XC60 D3/D4 2.0 2012

Thanks.
hey i know im a little late to this thread so here is what i did to replace the electrical unit and abs pump at the same time (i do not recommend this at all)

to replace the electrical unit on the 2012 xc60 you will need to open the plastic unit up (not straight forward i used a hacksaw and to seal it i used a soldering iron to melt he plastic back together to keep it water tight)

free image hoster

free image hoster

once the unit is open you need to find the eeprom chips, there was two on my unit they are located in these pictures im pointing at.. once these are swapped over it will be able to operate in the car without tripping the immobilizer (the car wont start with a straight swap of a used unit) I used a hot air reflow solder station, these are fiddly to use but this works well.

The issue with this is that the main chip on the original car will have already have all the same features as your car but the new unit may have different variables in the software. (i.e. tailgate module for abs, other unit features like awd and fwd) so if you want this to work 100% you either need to change the memory chip too (i did not do that) or find a unit from a car that is from a breaker that has a towbar or whatever your car has (yep thats the one i did, way less messing around)

basically im writing this as a "this could work for you" not a "do this" so people when they google dont instantly panic thinking there is no other way to fix the issue with the electrical unit.
aedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 21:31   #4
ele288

You could use vdash to clone through obd without soldering eeprom. It cost 45 eur but it will work
Old Sep 4th, 2023, 22:15   #5
aedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ele288 View Post
You could use vdash to clone through obd without soldering eeprom. It cost 45 eur but it will work
I did not know this, i wish i had it would have at the time because it would have saved me some time, im just glad im good at soldering. however now im on a rabbit hole of learning what vdash is and if it can help me with my current issue getting the nav unit updated to accept usb updates without having to drive 2+ hours to a dealer
Old Sep 6th, 2023, 10:28   #6
ele288

Only vida online or decrypt the drive under Linux and change 1 file, the hd has password
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 13:01   #7
aedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by ele288 View Post
Only vida online or decrypt the drive under Linux and change 1 file, the hd has password
You make me wish I knew more about this subject however can you elaborate on the decrypt and change 1 file using Linux (I am proficient in Linux but I'm unsure what you mean by the hd having a password. Do you mean the password is on the hd or has a encrypted partition that requires a password)